Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got a nice Martin Indiana Tenor 82121 from a good friend, when I bought it I tried it out with his Jody Jazz 8..it was a hard plastic kinda translucent red, narrow like a metal piece..not sure what it was but wow, it made me buy the horn.
So, I got home & put my Rico graftonite b5 on it and it's kinda stuffy , nice low notes but almost impossible to hit low C unless I sneak up on it.. :line4:mid D is yucky..nothing like his MP

so , he's got a few I can try out

Guardala King Tenor Saxophone Mouthpiece

LA SAX 7

Berg Larsen 95 opening

Vintage Berg Larson 105 1 sms

Herb Couf Artist 3*

Any ideas on which will be closest to the JodyJazz 8 he had???

View attachment 190194 View attachment 190202 View attachment 190210 View attachment 190218

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,888 Posts

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
He had Runyon adjust their standard facing a little to his specs when they were in production. Not a significant change IMO.

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,307 Posts
Keep an open mind, there may be more than mouthpiece at play here. First thing I would do is put a leak light down the horn and make sure all the pads are sealing well. The two mouthpieces you reference has significantly different tip openings, so try out a few different reeds as well. If the horn has no leaks, and the reeds make little difference, then look into spending some money on a mouthpiece you like.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, I'll be trying them out:scratch: & see what I like, hopefully one of the above mentioned fits me or I'll have to buy a JJ # 8 something..

Plus my friend is a good sax tech, I'd be surprised if it leaks, more than likely its me, probably need a more open MP.. I played his piece with a Java 2.5 signature reed..no troubles all the way up & down

but my Rico I can only play it with a 1.5. couldn't even get a sound out of it with higher number reeds

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Assuming the horn is tight . . . REEDS!! A poor match between a mouthpiece and a reed can turn a great horn into a dog. Sometimes, all it takes is to use a different reed (even of the same brand, cut, and strength), or adjust the reed you are using.

Next, stock out-of-the-box mouthpieces can vary piece to piece, so even if you came up with a different version of the piece that played so well for you, the next one can be less effective. DAVE

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yep, I agree. Mitch will let me try a variety of reeds when Im getting a Sax & MP from him so its extra nice to have someone nearby ..Stand up guy, runs the Music Box in Shelby Twp, Mi..Shameless plug, but he's been real patient with me trying stuff:(

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,935 Posts
yep, I agree. Mitch will let me try a variety of reeds when Im getting a Sax & MP from him so its extra nice to have someone nearby ..Stand up guy, runs the Music Box in Shelby Twp, Mi..Shameless plug, but he's been real patient with me trying stuff:(
A friend with reeds is a friend indeed!

G'luck with your quest.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,935 Posts
Be sure to check your horn's intonation with a tuner as you play the full range of the horn. Some players find that various older horns are somewhat picky about which mouthpieces work well - whether due to the player, key heights, or original design.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Be sure to check your horn's intonation with a tuner as you play the full range of the horn. Some players find that various older horns are somewhat picky about which mouthpieces work well - whether due to the player, key heights, or original design.

Will do ..good advice.. I cant wait to get this tenor to sing

Depending on the price of the DG King (that I can try out before buying)

If he wants 280.00 or more I have a line on a Jody giant 8 (but without being able to try it.)

is the Jody Giant 8 (.115 opening) and the DG king (.116 I believe) in the same league?

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,012 Posts
In that case, why not just go over and try those mpcs out? You might find one of them that you like even better than the Jody Jazz.

Just a note on the photos; a pic of the back (top) of a mpc gives very little info, and yet that's what we usually get in mpc photos. Photos of the open side showing tip, rails, baffle, and chamber are much more useful.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
The JJ Giant 8 should be a .110 and it will play more like a bright Slant than the DG King which will have a high baffle and relatively small chamber and be naturally much brighter. Right now you seem to be all over the map. You might want to narrow down the possibilities a bit by thinking about what type of sound you want or what type of music you'll be playing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am going to try them all
That way I figure out what I like sound wise

The rico I have I know I dont like, I've tried all out of reeds
I thought that the Jody Jazz website listed the jody giant 8 at .115 I'll have to double check that

The question was is the quality of the JJ Giant on par with the Dave Guardala King

·
Registered
511 Posts
An 8 Jody Jazz Giant is a .110". An 8* is .115".

I've been playing a Giant for several months now and I love it, which is surprising since I haven't gotten along with Jody's other models very well. It's like playing a Link with lots of power in reserve. The Guardala King is a good mouthpiece too but will be a lot brighter and more focused. The Giant, for me, is very versatile.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do you have the 8* then?. Sounds to me that I would like that.(not yours of course :faceinpalm:)
I'll try all that is available with a 1.5 , 2, & 2.5 and see what shakes out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mojo, watching your videos, very impressed & learning quite a bit.
Im an automotive designer using Catia V5 & came from a tool design / checking fixture background. now in interior trim/product design.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts