Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a second hand Reunion Blues lether case for my alto. It looks really great, but surprisingly it smells really strongly of smoke, presumably sigarette smoke. Is there any good way to get rid of this smell?can the whole bag be washed in water and soap? Any other tips?
Greetings
Bjorn

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
There's not much you can do about cigarette smoke. My parents were heavy smokers and there are still a few files I took from their filing cabinet that smell of smoke 15 years later.

You can air it out, preferably in the sunlight. If you don't mind the thing reeking of perfume you can try stuff like Febreze (people will say it's not perfumy, but their noses must have been fried by those stinky magazine inserts, because it reeks). For me, trying to perfume my way out of bad smells always just ends up adding one reek to another and it doesn't help. But some people think it's better.

If I understand the construction correctly it's got a cloth liner with padding, then the leather outer shell. I can't see how you could possibly wash the interior without ruining the leather. Plus the smoke is in the leather as well. You could unstitch the lining, wash that, and use something suitable for leather on the shell (saddle soap?) and then sew the lining back in, and it might help.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
42,780 Posts
time will get “ rid” of it but it may need a lot of it.

I once bought a hat from a heavy smoker. After a few years it has now lost it’s smoky signature but wasn’t worn by the smoker was just in that house.

Keep washing it and keep it outside , charcoal and sodium bicarbonate may help too, but time is the best of healers and you need lots of it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You should be able to clean the leather portions with saddle soap without causing any harm to the leather. That should reduce the cigarette smell at least a little. After repeated cleanings over time, it should improve even more. The interior would need a different approach.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
42,780 Posts
a combination of charcoal and sodium bicarbonate (put it is linen bags ) will absorb smells , fortunately it isn’t mould which would be very nasty to deal with.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,561 Posts
I’ve used this product for years. Everything from equestrian saddles to racing leathers.
it may be worth contacting them direct to see if they have a recommended product for smoke damage. You’ll find this in most of your chain automotive stores.

Bottle Liquid Product Glass bottle Alcoholic beverage

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,821 Posts
Good luck, cigarette smoke odor is pretty relentless…try cleaning the walls and carpet in a smoker’s home. Disgusting. Condition the leather and wash/ rinse the interior. Charcoal as mentioned for odors and drying. Definitely don’t put your horn in there if you like playing it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,561 Posts
After doing some reading. I‘m thinking it may be best to place it in a large trash bag with a bunch of baking soda in cloth bags. Leave it opened up. seal the bag closed. Let it process for a week.
A 3.5 lbs bag of baking soda is like four dollars at target.

·
Registered
T880, YTS-82Z; B991; 'Crat 1 alto
1,525 Posts
I once had a guitar amp that reeked of smoke. Tried all the various suggestions I received for removing the smell. I think one of them involved dryer sheets.

In any case, I ended up selling the amp.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I remember going to carpenter union meetings (back when the older members wore tan Dickies with neckties) where the hall was absolutely filled from the ceiling to about chest height with blue tobacco haze. I wore old shirts and slacks every meeting and always hung them outside the house. Just threw them away every month.

I still vote return the thing ASAP.

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
I once had a guitar amp that reeked of smoke. Tried all the various suggestions I received for removing the smell. I think one of them involved dryer sheets.

In any case, I ended up selling the amp.
That must have been tough on the dryer with an amp inside....:ROFLMAO:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
8,955 Posts
When we played in smoke filled rooms, we used to bring the instruments in and take our clothes off in our utility room. Next, we poured a bowl of white vinegar and put it on the floor. By morning, 90% or more of the smoke smell was gone. I suspect if you left it there longer, it might take the rest away.

I wouldn't touch the leather with the vinegar, as I don't know if it would harm it or not. Just put it in a closed room with an open bowl of the vinegar. Worth a try anyway.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,909 Posts
Have you taken it to a 'dry cleaner' that does leather coats? They should be able to get most, if not all of the smell out of it.

Reactions: swperry1

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
When we played in smoke filled rooms, we used to bring the instruments in and take our clothes off in our utility room. Next, we poured a bowl of white vinegar and put it on the floor. By morning, 90% or more of the smoke smell was gone. I suspect if you left it there longer, it might take the rest away.

I wouldn't touch the leather with the vinegar, as I don't know if it would harm it or not. Just put it in a closed room with an open bowl of the vinegar. Worth a try anyway.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Best SOTW advice I’ve heard in years. Priceless.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts