Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I play ska/rock/punk with a band and invariably I'm bouncing around my lower register, I'd say 80% of the time. I am sorely tempted by a bari. The problem is that the band is for the love of it, so I doubt I can afford to get a baritone to the standard of my tenor set up, a cannonball, custom neck and silver selmer mpc. I play a novelty soprano, a basic elkhart with a "better" mpc, that has improved the rig a lot. So I plan to try and do something similar with a bari.

What's an ok basic bari and do the usual mouthpiece rules apply?

I didn't mind chancing it with the soprano as everything came in at around £170 all in with the new mpc and overhaul. I suspect I will want to use the bari much more though. I hear a lot of tenor players double on bari so hope someone can advise.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At first glance this seems promising, loud, deep, raucous is the kind of sound that would suit.

Not sure how easy it will be to get hold of one of these in the UK.

·
Registered
163 Posts
There are dealers of vintage horns in the UK, too, so it should not be impossible to get a decent vintage bari locally. I’m not really familiar with “who’s who” in the UK market, but one dealer, Woodwind exchange, include Kings and Conns in their list of brands:

http://www.woodwindexchange.com/home/4514597147

The V16 mouthpieces are nice. For band work like ska/rock, Rico metalite used to be quite popular and very cheap. If you can find a Berg Larsen that plays well, that’s also a staple baritone piece that could be had for a relatively modest sum. Some of them, certainly the steel ones, may also have a “mouth feel” that’s closer to that of a tenor piece.

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you’re going for something newer, you could probably find used Yamahas in decent shape. These are quite common with orchestras.

If you want something brand new on a budget, and a mid range Yamaha is too much (or too bland), some people rave about Chinese Taishan baritones from e-bay. Buyer beware; some of them are not even “real Taishans” but something more generic, and apparently they may require a bit of work and adjustment, but they are said to play well for the price.

Personally, I think I’d start by looking for a suitably scruffy-looking vintage “player’s horn” though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice work, thanks for finding that website. It's a bit of a minefield. I have not looked at buying a sax for so long it's good to get your input.

Interesting point about the steel mouthpiece. I would anticipate it easier to use both saxes in the same set if the feel is similar, at least while the bari is new. Of course once acquired I will be on it straight away.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That waz my reply to your 1st one.

Regards your 2nd,yes I have heard about these taishans, and another make yakusa seems to be stocked by reputable retailers.

I would usually err towards 2nd hand though, agreed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good god. These Taishans are £1500 from new!

How much work do they need?

I do tend to think a lot of my sound quality is down to the mouthpiece so.....

·
Registered
163 Posts
I don’t really have any first hand experience, but there are threads on this forum where people are saying good things about these horns.

Forum regular @EgilF also has some nice YouTube clips showing off the Taishan, and mentions 10-15 minor leaks and some tweaks in some of the comments.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, that's really useful!

Yes I have had a look at some of the threads you mentioned. I think I might be blocked from commenting though.

I have to say that I like the sound of the 2nd better, though possibly it's closer to my style of playing. Would it make sense if I said the 2nd was more chocolatey?!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
Here’s Egil, sounding good on the Taishan with a Vandoren V16 B9 on this Pink Floyd cover:
https://youtu.be/vcydXu8YhhA

And, in the vintage club, here’s Dana, sounding not too shabby on a low Bb Conn 12m with a Berg Larsen:
https://youtu.be/Hx6aO-vdpNQ
HA!

Got these first thing this morning with my coffee. Just what I needed!

"Sandman coulda played with no strings" a favorite comment.

And I could listen to Dana Colley all day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts