Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recorded in 1974 not long before his death:

But I'm serious--this is one of the only Ammons recordings I could find without HEAVY reverb (e.g. Boss Tenor--yuck! Van Gelder ruined it!). (Why did they always record him with so much echo back in his heyday? Anyone know of a great ca. 1960 album of his where this is not the case?)

But now I finally have an idea of what his natural sound was like. And yeah, I can hear the Brilhart thing coming through there. And it's got a nice groove/production to boot. I'm now on the hunt for the whole LP, which if it's from the 70s could have a great "make out" B side. This could be 45 minutes of pure tonal ecstacy! :rr:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,867 Posts
That was nice, hadn't heard that before.
Curious mixing job by the way, with the horns so far in the background.
Great playing!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,816 Posts
I got to hear Jug live, from about 10 feet away, in a night club in Chicago in the early 1970s. The first note was worth the price of admission. Genius.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,679 Posts
But I'm serious--this is one of the only Ammons recordings I could find without HEAVY reverb (e.g. Boss Tenor--yuck! Van Gelder ruined it!). (Why did they always record him with so much echo back in his heyday? ...)
Might as well ask why Caddy's had fins...:cool:

nice track but hardly..."Disco"!?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I got to hear Jug live, from about 10 feet away, in a night club in Chicago in the early 1970s. The first note was worth the price of admission. Genius.
+ 1 - 'Intuitative' Genius. I've heard some of the great tenor players live, Johnny Griffin, Dewey Redman, Sam Rivers, Billy Harper, but I'm very envious of you. Jug is one I'd love to have heard live.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
I bought the Brasswind album in 1977 for $3.00 in a cut out bin, but I never got it on CD and have not heard it for probably 10 years or more. Time to put the 33 1/3 capability back up for another listen. I dragged it out of the rack in the basement. Side 2 has a version of 'Round Midnight. Thanks for the reminder. The photo of Ammons on the back shows the Ebolin.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
I had a similar vinyl album years ago --he was with Art Farmer I think, could have been Donald Byrd. It was basically a jam at some University. The thing is he was playing a Selmer with an STM by this time and do know what? he still sounded just the same--marvellous!
Wilton Felder played a YTS 62 for a number of years and sounded just as great as he did on the Super 20. These guys just "Have It"--- equipment is almost an irrelevance.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Finally got to hear this recording, thanks for the tip!

His recorded sound does benefit on those sessions without the extra reverb, but IMHO, this is far from the best Jug. I understand these sessions were just a few months from his untimely passing, & I certainly take that into account, but I also wouldn't want to place Brasswind as one of Gene's seminal recordings, or as a classic representation of his playing overall. Historically relevant, a fun listen, especially for those who have a broader knowledge of his artistic significance & status as a downright soulful groovemaster...this side is one of the final offerings from one of the all-time greatest tenor players walking to the 18th green at Augusta up by 10 strokes...Jug was The Man!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,077 Posts
That cut sounded like every song demo that came with our high school "stage band" arrangements back in the day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts