Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i have been playing around with mouthpieces on my SBA and have settled on a meyer richie cole for a smoother, more lyrical sound but am still looking for a harder, kenny g altoish sound, what mouthpieces could you recommend i try,
or ligatures on the meyer?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Kenny G uses a beechler, you could try them out.

Ligature won't really change your sound that much.

Gerald Albright uses a rubber Beechler and I think he sounds great!

·
685 Posts
I played an SBA alto once...what a beautiful instrument...alas I never owned one and I would never want to sound like Kenny G on alto, so as to what MOUTHPIECE could help you get there, I dunno, but I absolutely agree with the Count, a ligature sure as heck ain't gonna.

(if you're not dead set on Kenny G and what you want is a bright, powerful sound...I really like what can be done with a Vandoren Jumbo Java in this vein. It doesn't overdue it and definitely doesn't UNDERDO it...you will be heard and felt with this piece...)

·
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gorelick,
what i meant was a slightly brighter, stronger sound,
i have my meyer which is great for blending with a sax section, a soft mellow and smooth sound,
i want more of a stand out from the crowd along side that, more for me leading a 5 piece band, that sort of thing, also something that projects nicely.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I still say a beechler or what zach said Claude Lakey, both have quite a bit of brightness and can play pretty loud...not too crazy money wise.

·
Registered
552 Posts
The beechler will do it but, it has to have the right Reed/Ligature setup and it will probably be something totally different than what you use on your meyer also,the beechler will feel different and will take some time to get used to

also look at lakey and berg larsen rubber pieces

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,890 Posts
Dukoff D7 or D8...like Sanborn and Candy Dulfer (who uses a plastic Dukoff).

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
J. Max, who uses one? David Sanborn I believe uses a Dukoff D that's been worked on, and Candy uses a saxworks mouthpiece or whatever they called...basically a well made dukoff..

·
4,147 Posts
I concur with Dukoff.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Anything with a high baffle, the more extreme the better. A dukoff is just about perfect. Maybe even make the baffle higher on a Dukoff (ok, that was just joke.)

edit: Don't forget the Rico Plasticover reeds. :)

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,890 Posts
CountSpatula said:
J. Max, who uses one? David Sanborn I believe uses a Dukoff D that's been worked on, and Candy uses a saxworks mouthpiece or whatever they called...basically a well made dukoff..
Sanborn uses a D8 which has had its facing cleaned up.

Candy Dulfer used one on her early albums (and with Prince), but you're right, I forgot that she had switched to the Saxworks version.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
I just like to say inderbienen.:D

·
Registered
300 Posts
I used to play a hard rubber beechler a while back and really liked it a lot. I say give it a try and see what you think.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts