Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know the fingerings for a german english horn? I recently bought it and it doesn't have the same fingerings as my fox oboe. If you could just point me in the direction of a fingering chart that'd be nice.

thank you!

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,882 Posts
Normally German double reeds have a very similar fingering system. The main difference is usually a fully automatic octave mechanism intead of semi-automatic. Pics would help.

·
Registered
929 Posts
While I'm not well versed in historical oboes, this is a Triebert system 4, right? (I'm not well versed in vintage oboes, like I said, sorry-I'm just going off of a paper I found on JSTOR that has decent explanations of each system.)
What's the makers name? I seem to recall a Kohlert or something like that that looked rather similar to this was on ebay recently.
As for fingering, I'm pretty sure that most of the general fingering remains close to a modern Oboe or EH. I can ask a professor here at USM (he's dean of the school of music) who has really extensive experience dealing with antique oboes-he has a Triebert EH from the 1850s or 60s that's fairly similar to this, although if I recall right the keywork is somewhat different.
And while I've never personally played any oboe like this: a normal D major scale should play exactly the same. However, there appears to be only one octave key, based on your photo-this is fairly old, but I'm pretty sure that might just work like an automatic octave key from the player's side, although it probably won't be as in tune. Bb and C are with each side key and LH 1+2 and 1, respectively, with Bb being the lower key. Fork F should work as normal, although I'm not sure if the key for RH2 is also for F, but it would make sense. The C, Db, and Eb keys should work as normal, based on the positions they're in that I can see for two of them, just the key touches are rotated slightly over from a modern oboe. G#'s just 123+ the G# on LH4. While I can't see how many keys the left little finger has other than G#, they should probably work very similar to a normal oboe or english horn. (other than probably no F on that side, and no low Bb as it's an English Horn. However I know English horns to low Bb do apparently exist, just they're very rare.
While I'm not 100% sure that all of the fingering stuff is accurate to your specific oboe, hopefully that's helpful!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts