Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...

I was at a local estate sale, and I bought a wooden Buffet Bb for cheap.

There seems to be no model name on it anywhere, and all I was able to learn about it from the serial number was it was made in West Germany in 1983.

None of the parts were missing, and it came with a Woodwind G8 mp and a hideous molded plastic case.

Is it worth fixing up? Should I bother?

Thank you,
Kenny1

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,358 Posts
Buffet is a brand name, not a type of clarinet. You probably mean that you bought a Boehm Bb clarinet.

If there was no name, how do you know that it was made in Germany in 1983? Serial numbers are always specific to manufacturers.

Toby

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
1,422 Posts
The lower and intermediate level Buffets are (and were then) made in Germany. An E11, for instance, is German. Look very hard at the wood above the A key on the upper joint and see if there are any traces of the model number remaining.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,184 Posts
The lower-end clarinets marketed by Buffet were (and maybe still are) made in Germany by Ernst Schreiber. They're not very good, in my limited experience.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
1,422 Posts
Like David, I don't care for the low end Buffets (like the B10). However, the B10 is plastic. Your wooden one might be an intermediate level instrument - sure would help if you could find a trace of the model above that A key!

·
4,544 Posts
I have an old E11 left over from one of my kids...it is a decent clarinet and is marked "Made in Germany". I actually like the keywork better than my R13...the tone is decent. I don't really like the R13s either. (we have 3 of them, both my kids and me...they play theirs, but I mostly play Selmer)

·
4,544 Posts
I assume that the key layout (all the subtle angle and positional variations) of all Buffets are the same. My hands just seem to fit the Selmers and Leblancs better than the Buffets, particularly the RH pinky cluster.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Great Bloke.
2,968 Posts
Not quite the same, there is some differences in the LH and RH keywork on the upper range Buffets. I find the Selmer key layout less than ideal, the LeBlanc is the best keywork. The reason for using the Buffet is purely sound and response.

I have owned a pre R13 buffet and it was an incredible instrument, the sound and even tone across all registers was magniificent. The Front register key seemed to give it more volume as well. This is yet another instrument I should never have sold.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,081 Posts
Bootman said:
This is yet another instrument I should never have sold.
See it the positive way - yet another person you've made happy. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts