Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I search one HR piece in same slant way.

I see many people play gerber slant and love it, it is the better option in same way?

Lamberson L and J is great too? And rpc r models?

I no can buy all pieces, and I live in Brazil soo no can try on all in one store too, soo I need know anothers experience player think about its.

I play many slants and early babitts pieces, but never one really great piece, all cool and sweet, but no powerfull and fat in Joshua Redman way I search now.

I always play metal pieces, links florida and guardalas handmade in tenor, but decide play HR too now.

I listen pieces in Steve Neff site and really sound goods, but I need more information about its.

Let me know you think about slants copy in market today. What the best?

Very thnaks,

Wellison

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I've never tried a Gerber Slant. I have tried the other two though. My RPC rollover was nothing like a slant. The Lamberson L I guess is close in that it has a large round chamber, concave sidewalls and a rollover baffle.

Others to consider are the Mouthpiece cafe slant and the Tenney slant. There are probably many others.

I'm trying out a Tenney Jazzmaster right now. Apparently its based more on a STM than a Slant, but still has the large round chamber, scooped sidewalls and rollover baffle. I'm liking it a lot and would put it on your list of pieces to consider.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
Lamberson L and J is great too?
I've had a couple each of Fred's L and J models - if you're looking for a Slant derivative 'piece, that's not what they are about.

Yes, they are excellent - just not of the Slant camp.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, thanks replys guys.

I play tenney and new vintage links, and cafe, and no like its, more sweet pieces for me I need more edge pieces, more powerfull and clear in altissimo register and fat in low notes.

I listen gerber and like it.

I always have intresed in RPC and lamberson pieces, but never play one tenor piece, only altos and it is good, but the meyer limited edition early models and meyer USA is better for me in alto.

I need one great HR piece edhge, warm, lush and fat sound, but clear in altissimo and powerfull if I need, in same Joshua Redman way.

What the best in you opinion? I never play HR pieces more time ... slants ans tone edge early babitt I play is good, but more sweet and no edge, soo I no like its.

Let me know.

Thanks,

Wellison

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,790 Posts
I think you would be happy with the Gerber. It has that at bottom end but nice highs in it too. I can get some volume out of mine also. My Lamberson J is super loud but I think it's a bit brighter than Redman's sound. I never cared for the Lamberson L's at all. I played 3 or 4 of them and they were all too bright and edgy for my tastes. The Lamberson J I have is perfect.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would recommend a Phil-Tone HR. I would consider it Slant-like and I prefer it over both the Jazzmaster and the Tenney Slant because on my horn it gives a stronger low register and better projection. The Phil-Tone is what I put on my horn when I want to get as close as I can to this....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnYkpoJcuDs

·
Registered
240 Posts
Great link blowfish! Sounds beautiful.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Lamberson J is the best for me so far. L is just not for me. Gerber is great too with slight edge if you desire for it. It is the second best. RPC R is nice too with thicker or blockish sound and less playability than others (RPC is easier to play than Lamberson L - for me).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,116 Posts
I really like my New Vintage slant. Keep in mind I've never played a real Slant, but it's a really nice mouthpiece, and IMO a great deal.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I really like my New Vintage slant. Keep in mind I've never played a real Slant, but it's a really nice mouthpiece, and IMO a great deal.
Try the new mouthpieces at Tenor Madness....I am playing on one now and i have had a lot of great mouthpieces.
I sold my favorite vintage rubber piece after playing the Tenor Madness piece for a few days....it is clear and powerfull and is NOT finicky about reeds...that is a huge plus for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts