Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never heard of Flemal , no results in google....sounds French ...

Supposed to be. Toneking Special according to seller..

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,885 Posts
it is indeed, identical to the one I sold recently. Keilwerth sold to lots of “ brands”.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
it is indeed, identical to the one I sold recently. Keilwerth sold to lots of “ brands”.
Not surprising, given the state of the post-War German economy. I'm sure they took every sale they could to keep afloat and keep their people employed.

·
38,885 Posts
these were made much later, by this time Germany was already a very wealthy country in need of importing workforce from Southern Europe , Turkey and North Africa to provide its industry with enough output to meet a demamnd that is still making Germany one of the most industrilized countries in the world.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I did find this , was in french , used google translate...

«Gerard Flemal is a former Belgian banker who has long held a music shop in a small town near Brussels. He was at the time well known for "the fantasy of his words" and endowed with a very commercial "strength of original conviction" that was not enough to prevent the closure of his store and his departure to the south from France where he is installed today. He still offers for sale a part of his "collection" of instruments. He probably only signed a sax made by a factory far removed from his address at the time. As the other says, "It takes a long spoon to dine with the devil." Mistrust ".

«Gerard Flemal had Keilwerth produce saxophones in his name when he ran his store in Brussels, several basic models in the custom, as he also did for clarinets by another manufacturer. I tried one at home, it really sounds like a Keilwerth, big sound and beautiful projection, very good quality of manufacture.
Regarding his (impressive) sax collection, he has not much left, a few tenors and violas (Conn, SML, Buescher, Yana), he stops his activity (he is old and health problems) and tries to sell his remainder .
For the rest, everyone is judge according to the lived experience.«

His Linkedin :

https://fr.linkedin.com/in/gérard-flemal-128942103

·
38,885 Posts
There are lots and lots of examples of individuals having their OEM saxophones made for them by companies such as Keilwerth.

There is nothing to mistrust, this is a kosher Keilwerth.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Flemal is a collector who had a shop in Brussels (now residing in southern France) who has been selling off his formidable collection of guitars, clarinets, saxophones, etc. for the past year or so. Back in the day he had Keilwerth put his name on some of their horns.

View attachment 235368

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Milandro,

The seller is asking 1300 euro , looks one is better off buying a Keilwerth Toneking Special instead ...

What is this sax worth in decent playing condition ?

·
38,885 Posts
Hi Milandro,

The seller is asking 1300 euro , looks one is better off buying a Keilwerth Toneking Special instead ...

What is this sax worth in decent playing condition ?
Mine went for €1000 shipped and with a fresh overhaul (but some cosmetic flaws)

Any shop would sell it for more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i bought one of gerard's stencils, a keilwerth EX in every detail. plays beautifully, rich and dark and more controllable - that is to say with better dynamics - than other keilwerths i have had (toneking 4, englesflugel, couf superba 1). he's selling off things still through small ads, but they're rather expensive i find. i think we could say their quality is going to be first class, though. he has SML's too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts