Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I recently heard a recording of this guy, his sound totally 'blew' me away. (that was a joke).
But seriously now, I did a wee search on the forums, didn't find much. Just out of curiosity, does anybody know what he's blowin' on? I heard from somewhere else he was on a Beechler Diamond Inlay 8S8 (whatever the 2nd '8' means i dont know), but I am not sure about it. Am I correct in saying this?
Many thanks

·
Registered
162 Posts
G. Albright fan too!

He is my favorite modern day alto player. A very powerful sound. He plays on a cannonball sax and uses 2 beechler mouthpieces. One is a custom studio something or the other and the other one I am not sure what model. He has had some modification done on the mouthpieces though. He also plays LaVoz Med Hard reeds.
The instant I hear his music I know its him. Very distinct sound.
You should check out his live version of 'Georgia on my Mind' on You tube. It will blow you away.

His website is www.Geraldalbright.com

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I actually meant to say s8s, not 8s8, but anyways.
I really want to get more of this guy's music, and wanna order a cd off the net. This might be a hard question, but since there are probably many Gerald Albright albums out there, which would you recommend to be the best to buy?

·
Registered
552 Posts
He actually plays a custom rubber beechler .100 (S10S) -- I know for a fact that that is his current mouthpiece

·
Registered
YTS 82Zii
417 Posts
I love the Live at Birdland West album. Kickin' it Up is also a good one. Groovology was just so-so for me. He is the real deal though.

·
Registered
502 Posts
He's a GREAT A/T player with an incredible range and great musicianship. He does some cheesy stuff every once in a while (smooth jazz-esque), to make a buck, but the guy knows his music now. Great player.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts
Live At Birdland West

Live At Birdland West is one of my favorite albums. I don't care for his smooth jazz stuff, but that's obviously a taste issue. His chops and artistry are incredible, and his rendition of Georgia On My Mind is destined to be a classic, IMHO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts