Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions regarding a Cannonball GT5-SB. The sax sounds great all over and has the sound I want, only if I can get the sound out.

What I mean is this: Any note with the thumb octave key down tends to squeak and I have to change embouchure completely to hit any of those notes. It feels as though I am blowing straight down instead of through the horn. The sax is easy to play after I warm up I don't get as many squeaks but sometimes the notes are 100% squeak and no base note.

I am using the 5* cannonball moouthpiece that came with it and 2 1/2 vandoren classical reeds. Would a stiffer reed help? The sax does seem easy to play all registers, so many upper note stability isn't good with a 2 1/2 reed?

·
Registered
237 Posts
make sure your octave key opens when you press the key,

your horn should have 2 openings for your octave key, A i believe is when they switch.

to me it sounds like your octave mechanism isnt working properly and you are having to lip up the octave.

What do you think of that mouthpiece?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't like the mouthpiece much at all, but I was thinking it should still play. I like the Yamaha 4C mouthpiece and also a RIA nickel plated 6 or 7. I'm going to take it to a local shop owner who is a sax repair man. But before then, I want to remove any human issues.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
i would try a pipe cleaner through the octave pips. you may have blockage. look in neck to see if any thing is amiss with octave pip. ie; loose metal shavings etc.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Finger low G and then hit the thumb octave key and watch the octave key on the neck. It should not move or bounce when you hit the thumb key. If it does, take it to a tech. It is a quick and inexpensive repair.

John

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
amhso said:
I have a few questions regarding a Cannonball GT5-SB. The sax sounds great all over and has the sound I want, only if I can get the sound out.

What I mean is this: Any note with the thumb octave key down tends to squeak and I have to change embouchure completely to hit any of those notes. It feels as though I am blowing straight down instead of through the horn. The sax is easy to play after I warm up I don't get as many squeaks but sometimes the notes are 100% squeak and no base note.

I am using the 5* cannonball moouthpiece that came with it and 2 1/2 vandoren classical reeds. Would a stiffer reed help? The sax does seem easy to play all registers, so many upper note stability isn't good with a 2 1/2 reed?
It could be that CB mpc. On my alto the stock mpc has more squeaks than any other of over 100 I've played on it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
yeah, i really dont like the CB mouthpiece

i cant wait till i get enough $$ for a real tenor peice

1 - 7 of 7 Posts