Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldn't find anywhere else to ask this question, so here goes.

I am a new player/late bloomer and I have just found some music by Georgio Parreira.
I just love the sound he comes out with. I wanted to know what his set up was or is. I know that I have many years of practise before I can sound anything like him, but it would help to know what his equipment is. I will be taking this recording to my teacher as well, so he understands my goals better and can help get my technique more in line with my aspirations.
Any help is appreciated.:)

·
Registered
885 Posts
What I have heard of Georgio Parreira was heavy on the reverb/echo effect. But there seems to be nothing special about his core sound. Almost any well-balanced reed/mouthpiece/sax set-up can make that sound. Really. You can get it by a quick trip to a good music store. But to copy what his does, how he speaks his music, that takes practice and practice takes time. Then you can add the reverb.

Welcome to the band!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your answer. I am learning on my Alto and having an absolute blast. I have never been able to play an instrument and I am already playing some tunes that my family actually recognize after a couple of months of playing.
Not ready for the recording studio....but this is for me more than anything.

I keep reading SOTW and "listening" to the comments and advice. It's a great place to hear what others think and the advice is usually very considerate and honest.
I will be looking to develop into a more "mellow" tone as I learn the techniques. I can wait for the reverb until later.
Thanks again

·
Registered
885 Posts
Keep at it. You can start out on the sax and have lots of early success, which is very encouraging. But the development of technique and your own sound, like everything else worth attaining, takes time. Practice whenever you have the opportunity; you can only get better.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a lesson last night with my new teacher. Brutal!! he is the expert at giving back handed compliments.:shock:
This is supposed to be fun, right.
Seriously, I know I have a long journey ahead and I am looking forward to the challenges.

Now on to the scales and the alternate fingerings that I didn't practise yet. Did I beat myself up enough yet!
Thanks for the reply. I am not a quitter, it's still loads of fun finding new sounds that come out of the same instrument.Just need to control them now, easy right!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts