Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently listened to a track from around 1990 where Michael Bolton did, Georgia on my mind.....I cried....He not only redefined the term "Passion" but he may have very well done this song better than Mr. Charles himself. (I'm sorry, but I don't know how to place a link on here for you to hear it, if you havent already)
I've heard David Sanborn and Gerald Albright do a version of this song on Alto and they were nicely done.
My question is, does anyone know of any Tenor Saxophonist doing this song with the same passion? I'd like to hear it.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Yeah,I thought Bolton was great. He sure took alot of flak from the critics. Where is he now? "Georgia on My Mind" is a timeless classic. Most get it wrong.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
My daughter's name is "Georgia"... I play it (on tenor) quite a bit, and love the song. She's 3, and she giggles and dances to it... she know's it's "her" song when I play it. I only wish I had the chops to do it (and her) justitce.

Pete

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 200
1,445 Posts
Here's a link to Mr Bolton with Ray Charles..that is one top mullet, and great vocals too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qzFXdIqRvM

I have a great David ' fathead ' Newman version, I think you'll find it's a standard most of the top names would have attempted if you search.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
For my money I'd far, far rather hear Ray sing it.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,226 Posts
Even the idea that anyone can beat Ray at his own game is ridiculous. Ray Charles was definitely one of a kind and while there are plenty of great singers who are as good or better in a technical sense, no one could really compete with him in his own genre. He was/is one of my all-time favorites. If you're going to do any of his tunes, it's best to do it your own way and not even try to do it in his exact style.

·
Registered
703 Posts
The thing is, everyone thinks of "Georgia" as a Ray Charles tune, even though it was written by Hoagy Carmichael. That's how much Ray OWNED that song. That says it all for me. Same way people speak of Elvis and Sinatra tunes, even though I'm pretty sure neither one wrote a note of what they sang.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
IMHO, Michael Bolton is the Kenny Gorelick of vocals (sorry guys).

Ray is#1, but I would put Willie Nelson's version head and shoulders above Bolton's (and the arrangement with Booker T on organ ain't too shabby), but a close second to Ray's would be Billie Holliday's version.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,567 Posts
hakukani said:
IMHO, Michael Bolton is the Kenny Gorelick of vocals (sorry guys).

Ray is#1, but I would put Willie Nelson's version head and shoulders above Bolton's (and the arrangement with Booker T on organ ain't too shabby), but a close second to Ray's would be Billie Holliday's version.

That is 100% true I never thought of it that way

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,861 Posts
If anyone "owns" Georgia, it is Gerald Albright.

And he plays a Cannonball, FWIW.:twisted:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've read where some have made the point of someone "owning" a song. Which goes back to my original thought,...passion. This is what made Michael Bolton, in this case, Albright and some other version of this song great was their amount of passion. This is also why so many people fell in love with Ray Charles. He poured so much of himself into a particular song, Georgia in this case, that he "owned" it. Go back an listen to this song again and you'll hear what I'm saying.
By the way, I've still not found a tenor player that played this song with the same lever of passion as Ray Charles, Michael Bolton,.....and alright Gerald Albright.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
When I think of Georgia On My Mind, I think of wistfulness, not passion.
The song is about Hoagy's SISTER, for heaven's sake!

I can't recall exactly (because most of my early Billie collection is on lp), but I believe that there is a sax solo by Prez on that version

·
Banned
150 Posts
When I hear Michael Bolton sing it makes me want to cry to, but not in a good way. Can a serious musician actually compare Bolton to Ray Charles? I was thinking of Michael Bolton's music and a little throw up came into my mouth that I had to choke back down.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Randall said:
If anyone "owns" Georgia, it is Gerald Albright.

And he plays a Cannonball, FWIW.:twisted:
True Gerald Albright's version is incredible. To the general listening public however, sorry but it's Ray. If Albright walked into a convenience store for a pack of cigs and a gallon of milk no one would know who he was. Put it this way- if I'm playing my piano bar gig and start playing "Georgia", somebody at the bar will start doing their Ray impersonation, head back, big smile, swaying side to side in their seat. It's almost like it's part of the collective conciousness.

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
hakukani said:
When I think of Georgia On My Mind, I think of wistfulness, not passion.
The song is about Hoagy's SISTER, for heaven's sake!
Not according to Hoagy. Frank Trumbauer suggested he write a song about the state of Georgia saying, "Nobody ever lost money writing songs about the South."

1 - 20 of 34 Posts