Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
George is a treasure. I've met him years ago when he lived in NEPA, adn played in a section with my instructor, The Steamin Jimmies and the Sugar Cone Horns. He was a kid when he recorded the Twist with Chubby Checker, I also (unconfirmed) heard he did the sax theme for Sea of Love (the movie) Was huge in Japan, I have a cassette called Chant, saw him regularly at the COTA festival in Delaware Water Gap with Lew DelGatto (they both played in the SNL band at the time)

He was always the show closer at the COTA on Saturday night, nothign could follow him. ;-)

unfortunately I haven't seen him in years, think he moved to the West Coast.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,761 Posts
Thanks, dstack, I'd never been aware of him before. Great chops.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thanks for posting that, Dan..

Somewhere I have a cassette tape of the Manhattan Jazz Quintet with George on tenor (Lew Soloff and Eddie Gomez were also on that band). They do a So What-based tune called "So This" on which all three of those guys just tear it up. I don't usually go in for pyrotechnics but George Young's playing is a ton of fun to listen to.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, nice. Thanks for the addition.

I like his sound. Very bright and buzzy and 80's-esque. Further proof of the Link's versatility

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
excellent stuff, thanks for posting that. this is from the period when I used to see George in the Poconos. He was using various set ups, and working with Phil Barone, using his refaced pieces and Precision Crafted (Phil's mpc name at the time). He was always the highlight! I remember seeing him do an acapella Christmas carol medley at a place in the Gap. A real monster player.

·
Registered
Primarily Tenor with occasional Alto
1,555 Posts
Amen to that Bill......Wow.....George Young is chock full of chops and ideas...what a great player....kinda guy I could listen to all night long.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts