Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just informed that George T. Wein (October 3, 1925 – September 13, 2021) died yesterday at age 95.

Copied from the email message I got:

"Impresario, promoter, pianist, art collector and philanthropist George T. Wein, co-founder and creator of the Newport Jazz Festival® and the Newport Folk Festival®, who for seven decades, was the most influential presenter of music around the globe, died peacefully in his sleep on Monday, September 13, 2021. He was 95.

See also this link:

Another big name from the history of jazz gone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,197 Posts
One of those giant « catalysts » of jazz, who contributed to establish this music, it’s culture, and most important, the musicians, as a real central piece of the culture of the 20th Century. No one, at least here in Europe, would care where Newport is, and how all those great concerts (and albums) happened there, without his genius.
RIP Mr. Wein.

·
VENDOR "Innovation over imitation"
16,241 Posts
Well said. He was a GIANT in helping to get jazz music out there to audiences!!!!!

·
Premium Member
18,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I remember having seen George Wein playing piano with the ‘Newport Jazz Festival All Stars’ at the North Sea Jazz Festival of 1988, including these musicians:

• George Wein, piano
• Oliver Jackson, drums
• Eddie Jones, bass
• Gerald Wiggins, piano
• Warren Vaché, cornet
• Norris Turney, clarinet
• Scott Hamilton, tenor saxophone
• Flip Phillips, tenor saxophone
• Harold Ashby, tenor saxophone (not listed under the YT clip text)
• Howard Alden, guitar

Here is a full registration o that concert (1:07:32 long!):

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,324 Posts
He was really a very fine piano player. Here's another nice set with the Newport Jazz All Stars featuring some wonderful tenor playing from a very young Ken Peplowski.

That was wonderful. I thought I would just check out a little bit if it, but ended up watching the whole thing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,831 Posts
The great Harold Ashby on tenor in the beginning portion of this concert ..

I remember having seen George Wein playing piano with the ‘Newport Jazz Festival All Stars’ at the North Sea Jazz Festival of 1988, including these musicians:

• George Wein, piano
• Oliver Jackson, drums
• Eddie Jones, bass
• Gerald Wiggins, piano
• Warren Vaché, cornet
• Norris Turney, clarinet
• Scott Hamilton, tenor saxophone
• Flip Phillips, tenor saxophone
• Howard Alden, guitar

Here is a full registration o that concert (1:07:32 long!):

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Charles Lloyd paid a heartfelt homage to George Wein at one of his concerts. You can see it starting at
2:34 at this site. I was at the preceding night's concert and loved this band.
George Wein was a great promoter. RIP
George (Swaman)

·
Premium Member
18,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The great Harold Ashby on tenor in the beginning portion of this concert ..
Yes Tryp, thanks for adding him!

I copied the names of the musicians from the text under the clip and it seems they forgot to list Ash. I Should have checked that and did add him in my original post!

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
I saw George play a few times with the Newport All Stars. Even in company like Lew Tabackin and Randy Brecker he was the star. His piano playing brought me to era's of jazz that are mostly long gone and it was the real not the recreation. Kind of magical to hear.
On a side note, my father used to be his plumber and got to know him and his wife a little bit and really enjoyed them as people. Seeing him tool around the Newport festival on his golf cart just made everything there better.
And lastly I thank him for putting Roland Kirk and the Mothers of Invention on the same bill along with the Newport All Stars and the Dave Brubeck/Gerry Mulligan Quartet and blowing my very young mind in 1969...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts