Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I heard this George years ago playing with Tom Harrell. That was a great group. What is he up to lately?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's been recording pretty consistently-a good artist quietly going about his business. There's a nice 4tet on Blue Note.
If you look on iTunes, there's quite a lot, including a nice quintet with George & Phil Woods. He's made some nice albums over the years with Kenny Barron.

Jamie

·
Registered
715 Posts
I studied with George some years ago. At that time, he was playing a Selmer Mark VI with a New York Meyer 5M, La Voz MH reeds, stock ligature. I take it from his last CD that he made the switch to a Yamaha Custom alto.

George left Bern, Switzerland to Lausanne, Switzerland where he is now head of the Jazz School. He's very busy playing all around the world. Fantastic musician, great teacher, nice guy.

Acutally, George's mother was American which makes him half Swiss, half American.

·
Registered
436 Posts
George still plays on his New York Meyer 5M with a Yamaha Custom ZUL. But now he uses Vandoren V16 reeds an a Vandoren Optimum ligature.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts