Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am trying to find out more about this horn:

I have been playing Bari for some years now, but always on a school horn. I recently became more active playing with a couple of local groups and have decided that it is time for me to get my own horn. This George Bundy seems to be in good condition, and being purchased from Rayburn is a plus. It seems like a fairly good deal, but I haven't exactly found a wealth of information about Baritone Saxophones by this maker. I gather that George Bundy is not the same company as the Selmer Bundys, but where do they rate? Is this a professional horn or just a nice student model? Thank you!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Post some pictures.

Most of the George Bundy horns I have seen are stencils of Buescher and Conn between the 20's-30's. They are professional horns. They are not worth a whole ton, but are nice players. You will be dealing with vintage ergos.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To add more information, there is currently a George M. Bundy Baritone Saxophone on Ebay for $799. Any information would be very helpful. Thank you!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,216 Posts
There was no such distinction betweeon Pro and student up until around the 60's or so. Horns were horns, there were top-shelfers and second shelfers and while keywork and some body specs may have differed a bit, they were all as well-made as each other and equally reliable.

As Ginger says, George M. Bundy horns were often Conn New Wonder I or before era, then sometimes Bueschers later. But they are not to be confused with the post-selmer buyout Bundys, which were indeed dumbed-down horns which lost something in their re-spec. (Although in all fairness I must add, even by today's standards of 'student' or 'beginner' horn...even the selmer Bundys stack up very well against contemporary student models).

If it is an old Conn....make sure it's keyed up beyond Eb...because sometimes old Conn baritones were not.

The other thing which we don't know is your budget.

The last thing is...what is your definition of "Professional", exactly ?

I mean, I have known pros who played Bundy I Bighorns and they absolutely slayed on 'em. I know other people who play selmer, France ones and they are quite mediocre players with quite thin tones.....yet folks would sorta automatically argue that a 60's Bundy is by no means an appropriate pro horn, y'know ?

·
Registered
736 Posts
I mean, I have known pros who played Bundy I Bighorns and they absolutely slayed on 'em. I know other people who play selmer, France ones and they are quite mediocre players with quite thin tones.....yet folks would sorta automatically argue that a 60's Bundy is by no means an appropriate pro horn, y'know ?
could not agree more

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi. I've been waiting for a bari with Geo M Bundy engraved on the bell. Not the split valve model but one that is like the Conn transitional. I have a matching tenor and alto. I will be the envy of the small cohort of Bundy buyers. I just picked up a mess of continental colonials and Pan Ams and other rare Bundys like the pre-1960 all brass 4-digit conn stencil engraved Bundy. I all be bidding on the Conn/Bundy bari. My current passion are the 30a Buescher Bundys with 30a engraved near the serial number. Good hunting!

·
18,216 Posts
Well, yeah, the problem here with mentioning an eFlay auction in a thread is that it attracts more attention than it may normally would have.

I think I found the horn in question. It is a PanAmerican version of a 12M really...basically a 12M body minus RTH, and some simpler keywork. The serial likely begins with P, not B as the seller has stated. It'd be from around the early-mid 30's...so likely a pretty early same-side bellkey horn.

Let's put it this way...a '30's 12M in very good playing shape is worth around $2000-2500. This one, in very good playing shape is probably worth around $1500. One of these situations where the name Bundy will automatically scare off around 50% of prospective bidders to begin with.

But the question is....does it need work ? Seller says it was checked and plays, but those pads look pretty darn old and there are dents and dings.

I would be prepared to set aside $300-400 for add'l tech work once rec'd. I think if your expectation is to receive horn which plays easily up and down and is ready to rock....that is a naive expectation.

Will be a good player once worked up, though. Best of luck (to ALL of you, I guess :|).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the info! This isn't the only horn I had my eye on. I also found a local (well, fairly local...) MexiConn Bari in surprisingly good condition! I know that MexiConns don't have the best reputation in the world, but it is still a massive improvement over the ancient Selmer Bundy that I've been using lately! Not to mention that it certainly looks a lot better; I don't much care for the beach sand sparkle effect finish on the Bundy. Anyway, I was able to test the Conn last night, and I think it will serve me well. (plus I don't have to get it shipped, and I don't have to wait!) Thanks again for all the responses!

·
18,216 Posts
Those are underrated, the Mexiconns...exact same design specs as the older Elkhart ones, they just had some construction/fabrication issues now and again which are relatively easy fixes for a tech.

Enjoy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts