·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Man...is there anything else?????

·
Premium Member
15,496 Posts
25 years ago I sold him an otto link hard rubber 12...yep, a 12.

I havent seen another since. A week later I saw him, and he said he loved it. When I asked what reed he was using---he said it was a #5.

I guess as we get older we all have to come down in tip and reed size. :)

George is a marathon runner and he's got the lungs to use a setup like that. God bless him!

·
Registered
127 Posts
25 years ago I sold him an otto link hard rubber 12...yep, a 12.

I havent seen another since. A week later I saw him, and he said he loved it. When I asked what reed he was using---he said it was a #5.

I guess as we get older we all have to come down in tip and reed size. :)

George is a marathon runner and he's got the lungs to use a setup like that. God bless him!
It always amazes me when I see the setup he uses. There's more than just lung power involved. I mean, I can run a few miles and do an hour of cardio at the gym so I would think my lung power would be somewhat on par with his. But I don't like to play anything much harder than a 3 on a 7*. Playing soft and low on the horn with a hard reed is tough. I could blast air to get the reed to move but controlling it, especially with a relaxed embouchure, is baffling to me.

Yet when you here Garzone play a quiet ballad, he can play pp all over the horn with ease.

There has to be more to the physics than lung power from running.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
It always amazes me when I see the setup he uses. There's more than just lung power involved. I mean, I can run a few miles and do an hour of cardio at the gym so I would think my lung power would be somewhat on par with his. But I don't like to play anything much harder than a 3 on a 7*. Playing soft and low on the horn with a hard reed is tough. I could blast air to get the reed to move but controlling it, especially with a relaxed embouchure, is baffling to me.

Yet when you here Garzone play a quiet ballad, he can play pp all over the horn with ease.

There has to be more to the physics than lung power from running.
Yes, it's also a mystery to me.

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
Yes, but he knows that we each have a different core.

About a year or so ago, I came off the bandstand at the Cornelia Street Cafe NYC after a set with my trio.
Besides my soprano, I played some rare tenor that night.

It turned out George, who I'd never met, was in the house and he asked about my tenor setup. He was very complimentary about the sound and music and not surprised by the vintage, kind-of closed Penzel Mueller hard rubber piece and medium Fibercell reed.

I think he would be quick to say that we all have to find the right relationship between self and sax. That's really the hard part because we are the only ones who REALLY know when we've found it. Nobody else can tell us.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts