Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
My #8 with a Superial DC #2 and the Rovner Star Series lig , does altissimo and pretty much everything better than these previous mp's for me.

Vandoren Java
Vandoren Jumbo Java
Vandoren V16 HR
Jody Jazz Classic
Jody Jazz DV
SR Tech Fusion
SR Tech Pro
Guardala MBII Gold
Charlie A's BBQ
'48 Dukoff Stubby

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,073 Posts
I received the soprano size 6 tip and it is awful to play. Seems very unbalanced and not the tip size that it is marked. I will be picking up the 8 tip today hopefully it will be better quality. A genuinely beautiful mouthpiece that will require a reface to be a real player.

B

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I received the soprano size 6 tip and it is awful to play. Seems very unbalanced and not the tip size that it is marked. I will be picking up the 8 tip today hopefully it will be better quality. A genuinely beautiful mouthpiece that will require a reface to be a real player.

B
That is a bummer. I cant get over how good mine is. I guess like with most machined mp's, is can be a bit of hit and miss. I have bought a 7 and and 8 and they were both great.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,073 Posts
That is a bummer. I cant get over how good mine is. I guess like with most machined mp's, is can be a bit of hit and miss. I have bought a 7 and and 8 and they were both great.
Right on!

I did get the 8 yesterday and spent about 2 hours with it. I think it is simply a better tip size for me than the 6 and it plays better.

I am going to send both of them to my personal favorite refacer, Greg Wier; and have him work on them to my personal measurements.

They are going to be my go-to pieces for a fusion band project I am working on.

B

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
My #8 is my go to piece also.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,073 Posts
Maybe I should try the alto version in 8 as well. I never met a mouthpiece I wouldn't try. LOL

B

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
I got the mouthpiece today. And it seems increadibly small tipped, almost soprano mouthpiece small. Other than that it looks a lot like an Otto Link. I'll have to try it out later today when I'm not so hung over. But it should be fun.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just recieved my mp today... only played for 2 min (realy just 2 min) because of the time/hours... here's my "2 min first impression":
- Feels better quaçity than expected! Nice overall finish
- baught a #7 tip and got to say it feels more like a #6... it's extremely easy to play... almost no resitence! I usally play a Vandore java A45, and by comparison, this mp is like blowing out a couple of candles. I used a Vandoren ZZ #3 reed... mabe using a stringer reed will help.
- Sound is pleasant... but if we coinsider it's a $20 mp than it's a good buy. At higher octaves it can get a little to bright (at least for my taste). specially on my Yamaha 62. Tomorrow i'll try it on my old Buffet Crampon that is a more resistant and "deeper sounding" horn

Cheers
Ricardo

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just recieved my mp today... only played for 2 min (realy just 2 min) because of the time/hours... here's my "2 min first impression":
- Feels better quaçity than expected! Nice overall finish
- baught a #7 tip and got to say it feels more like a #6... it's extremely easy to play... almost no resitence! I usally play a Vandore java A45, and by comparison, this mp is like blowing out a couple of candles. I used a Vandoren ZZ #3 reed... Imabe using a stringer reed will help.
- Sound is pleasant... but if we coinsider it's a $20 mp than it's a good buy. At higher octaves it can get a little to bright (at least for my taste). specially on my Yamaha 62. Tomorrow i'll try it on my old Buffet Crampon that is a more resistant and "deeper sounding" horn

Cheers
Ricardo
Hi... and yes! I'm quoting my own previous post! Why? Because first impressions can, and many times are, wrong!

Ok... After 2 hours off playing, on 2 diferent sax, and swaping from new to uses reeds... Here is MHO:
1- better quallity finish than i expected
2 - very low resistence (all depends on personal taste)
3- sound in not bad at first, but as you keep playing it strugles.... In the lower notes it is BAD (harsh). In the higher octave it is very bright and sonetimes tends to "squeel".... Not pleasent at all.
4- changing horn or reed did not change a thing
5- disign could be improved... The tip is to thin witch results in a "strange" enbocadure;
6- and as said before the #7 tip feels more like a 6

Take in acount that i'm no pro... Just play the sax for fun for about 17 years, but i DO NOT think this mouthpicie is up there with some of the top mp as stated previously. In the end i think you get what you pay for... A $20 mp thats Ok to play for fun, but don't expect any invites to join the local jazz/blues/rock club.

Cheers
Bole none take offence from my post, but felt the need to post it

·
Registered
350 Posts
Ribeiro, was that a Sop, Alto or Tenor piece you bought?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I bought a Alto mp (#7)... I'm now on vacation but have some diffrent reeds to try (but have very litle faith that the improvement will amaze me!)

I'm concidering "refacing" DIY style... Just to play arround! ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,116 Posts
I just got an alto #7. Very good mouthpiece for what I paid for it. At $20 how could I go wrong? The ligature is horrible. Doesn't fit the reed under it at all. The only ligature I have that fits is a Rovner EVO-5 that came with a DV alto. I tried Selmer 402 and 404 and neither work at all. Maybe with some extensive shaping, but it does not seem worth it. People seem to keep comparing it to a DV but the cut-out table looks more like Rovner mouthpiece.
I was hoping this would be a nice piece to have around to play R&B on alto with. I like pretty bright pieces for this, but I don't really play that kind of alto, or much alto at all really, so I wanted a mouthpiece that would be very cheap but still have a good bright sound. This definetly fits the bill. Plays great for funky music with a La Voz MH reed.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts