Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this MP off Ebay just out of curiosity. I looks like a copy of either a Rovner Deep V, or a Jody Jazz DV. I really wasnt expecting much more than a good laugh for the $37.90 I spent for it, including shipping. Was I wrong. This mp has perfect intonation. Is not reed picky. And plays wonderfully. At less than 10% of the cost of a DV, it plays at least 75% as good as a DV. I have been playing it all day and out of dozens of mouthpieces I have bought in my lifetime, this is by far the best bang for the buck. Once in a while you just have to take a chance. It paid off.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...YcLCv24%3D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You got "strang and warm" for $37.90??

I'm in!! :)
I guess that Korean sellers English is "not so goood"---, but his mouthpieces are!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went with a 7 and have no way of measuring, but it feels close to other 7's, like around .083.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,071 Posts
I had been wondering about those. Thanks for the review. Please play it for awhile and let us know how it works out.

B

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So far, this mp likes, Rico Jazz Select, Superial DC, Vandoren Java, and Fibracell Premiers. These reeds are all very different from one another , and this MP loves them all. Easy to play from altissimo to low Bb. And perfect intonation throughout. Easy blowing like the JJ DV. I have to say it is now my fav.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes, a single screw metal lig.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
This I guess is more like Rovner Deep V with the high baffle, not one with the lower long ramp baffle? Is the sound fairly bright?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes it is fairly bright.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes, a single screw metal lig.
I just ordered a Rovner Star series (which replaced the Evo-5, my fav) to try on this MP. The Evo-5 doesnt darken the tone like alot of the other Rovners, so i thought i would try the Star Series and see if it really is like the Evo-5. Metal ligs can sound great, but i hate scratching mp's.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How did you decide on a tip opening and what do you think it measures or compares to?
The 7 is good, but I may buy an 8.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is not quite as bright as a JJ DV. It is brighter than a Vandoren V16 6s. It is not as bright as a Vandoren Jumbo Java. If I put a 1-10 on a Jumbo Java, I would call it about a 9. This Genesis, I would say is more like a 7-8 on brightness. Of course your reed choice and lig will have a little to do with that. JMHO

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just got done playing this mp with a Rovner SS1RVS ( Star series for soprano metal). Beautiful! Fits perfect, sounds great!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update, I went ahead and got a #8, I use a #2 reed , so the #8 tip is perfect. Low Bb is effortless and the first altissimo F# ( which i think is called F#3?) is easy and i can pop it up an octave (to F#4?) very easily. I cant believe how good this mouthpiece is for the price. The SS1RVS lig is perfect for it also. I have had mp's from $50-$500 and this is by far my favorite one in 40 yrs. of playing. Do yourself a favor and try one out. I am anxious to hear from the guy from Chile that bought my #7. It was very good, but the #8 fits me better. Isnt ironic that the cheapest Mp I ever bought is now my favorite. And I bought it thinking it would be junk for sure. Nothing ventured nothing gained-----

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
I picked one up from the last auction that ended. Should be a few weeks till it gets here. I'll post something here when I am able to give the mouthpeice a try.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,071 Posts
I have a 6 and an 8 on the way, one slightly used and another new from the source for soprano. I figure for the price it can be refaced in to something really good. B

1 - 20 of 34 Posts