Sax on the Web Forum banner

241 - 260 of 272 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,215 Posts
....I'm constantly on the search for one specific type of plugin, one that can achieve the sort of grainy, old school audio style recordings of the 1920s/30s. I've always wanted to be able to recreate that sound :).
There are a few different ways to do that digitally, and it's fun to experiment with. Several of these BR plugs can contribute to that effect, for an example of one such possible chain...

VPRE73 (preamp) first, input cranked a bit, output attenuated a bit, for some gentle saturation (distortion)...
VLA2A (compressor) next, mostly for color, not necessarily for dynamic control...
VEQ5 (eq) after that, tweak to your liking...
Magnetite (tape) at the end, recording level boosted and playback level attenuated (for more saturation), crank hysteresis for high-end rolloff.

You'll get a pretty grainy, old-school sound from that, after you spend some time tweaking. Ironically, on the recordings you'd be emulating, the engineers were generally going for the "cleanest" sound possible, and would probably be mortified that we'd intentionally dial in the saturation and frequency filtering they fought so hard to prevent!

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,452 Posts
However, I'm constantly on the search for one specific type of plugin, one that can achieve the sort of grainy, old school audio style recordings of the 1920s/30s. I've always wanted to be able to recreate that sound :).
In general, you should search for "lo fi" plugins. That's what the kids call music made with these types of plugins.

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 ·
There are a few different ways to do that digitally, and it's fun to experiment with. Several of these BR plugs can contribute to that effect, for an example of one such possible chain...

VPRE73 (preamp) first, input cranked a bit, output attenuated a bit, for some gentle saturation (distortion)...
VLA2A (compressor) next, mostly for color, not necessarily for dynamic control...
VEQ5 (eq) after that, tweak to your liking...
Magnetite (tape) at the end, recording level boosted and playback level attenuated (for more saturation), crank hysteresis for high-end rolloff.

You'll get a pretty grainy, old-school sound from that, after you spend some time tweaking. Ironically, on the recordings you'd be emulating, the engineers were generally going for the "cleanest" sound possible, and would probably be mortified that we'd intentionally dial in the saturation and frequency filtering they fought so hard to prevent!
Whoa! So that FX chain doesn't seem to complex. Obviously there would be a lot of dialing it in, but thats seriously helpful! Thanks Brian!

And you aren't wrong - I bet it would truly ignite the fires in a sound engineer who was aiming for the perfect sound in that era!

In general, you should search for "lo fi" plugins. That's what the kids call music made with these types of plugins.
That would have made my searching a lot easier - had I thought of it. Its hard to dial in using dates/eras of music! But I also listen to Lo-Fi, and never would have thought of that filter being applied until you said it - that makes so much sense!

Thanks for the video I'll be perusing those.

I feel like everytime I have am looking for new information or need assitance with anything in my recording setup/software, you both are super helpful and informative! Thanks so much for all you do here @HeavyWeather77 and @mmichel!

·
TOTM administrator
5,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
Picked up a Boston Sax Shop Heritage neck and Boston Sax Shop Superlative ligature! Love the way its performing so far.

Sadly, my alto is still in the shop. They were apparently pretty busy lately. Also still awaiting an AM Mouthpiece for alto, the balam back strap for my bari, and a potential new bari mouthpiece,

Also - there may be a new horn coming ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,998 Posts
Reactions: J-Moen

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
However, I'm constantly on the search for one specific type of plugin, one that can achieve the sort of grainy, old school audio style recordings of the 1920s/30s. I've always wanted to be able to recreate that sound :).
Or you could get some lofi pedals. I have a few that can emulate that precise old-timey effect--warp, warble, static and hiss with variable compression and hi-pass filters.

·
TOTM administrator
5,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #248 ·
Is it a Borgani Jubilee tenor???
It shall remain a surprise :)

This horn order is still in the works, nothing in stone yet. Will be fun unveil when/if it arrives.

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
2,033 Posts
I need a second 90xxx-100xxx range Mark VI for work to bring it in Europe. It seems this range speaks clearly and familiarly to me like a mother tongue. More expensive serial ranges are more beautiful or colorful but not as clear and articulate to me.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I've been enjoying two effects lately for use with a mic, both vocal effects. I use a fixed dynamic mic, xlr cords plug right in. The Helicon Harmony Singer pedal has really good reverb and echo, and of course the harmony' are great, when I can trigger the right mode. You can choose various two part or even three part harmony's, 3rd up, 5th down, octave up, etc. I like the minimal, two part effect, and add for accents on a few phrases, a very little goes a long way. Another pedal is the Helicon Mic Mechanic. It has excellent reverb and echo too, and has a preset mic eq, that enhances your tone, so its more natural thru a PA. And it has pitch correction, which makes me cringe, but I found out, it acts like a doubler - a doubler is when you add a second unison that sounds really close, but just pitched enough to sound like two horns playing in near perfect unison. Very effective.

·
TOTM administrator
5,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
I need a second 90xxx-100xxx range Mark VI for work to bring it in Europe. It seems this range speaks clearly and familiarly to me like a mother tongue. More expensive serial ranges are more beautiful or colorful but not as clear and articulate to me.
Well when you need gear, you need some High End Gear! I actually just played a Mk VI in that range back in February. Very cool horns with a very high price tag lol. Hope you can find one soon!

I've been enjoying two effects lately for use with a mic, both vocal effects. I use a fixed dynamic mic, xlr cords plug right in. The Helicon Harmony Singer pedal has really good reverb and echo, and of course the harmony' are great, when I can trigger the right mode. You can choose various two part or even three part harmony's, 3rd up, 5th down, octave up, etc. I like the minimal, two part effect, and add for accents on a few phrases, a very little goes a long way. Another pedal is the Helicon Mic Mechanic. It has excellent reverb and echo too, and has a preset mic eq, that enhances your tone, so its more natural thru a PA. And it has pitch correction, which makes me cringe, but I found out, it acts like a doubler - a doubler is when you add a second unison that sounds really close, but just pitched enough to sound like two horns playing in near perfect unison. Very effective.
That sounds really cool! The idea of a harmony pedal sounds awesome to me - didn't realize that was a thing! I've never even looked into effects really, so these little conversations of pedals and plugins is very enlightening.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Wow, I didn't realize how thick those maestro resos were. They look nice, but I'd be a little concerned about their effect on venting.
I have these in my MKVII, Roberto did the overhaul years ago, and they are nowhere near that high.
I was not aware you could order them already on pads, not sure I would go that route.

·
Registered
157 Posts
[QUOTE="J-Moen, post: 4292748, member: 45320"
That sounds really cool! The idea of a harmony pedal sounds awesome to me - didn't realize that was a thing! I've never even looked into effects really, so these little conversations of pedals and plugins is very enlightening.
[/QUOTE]
There's a guy on YouTube, Saxpedalguy, I think his channel name is joined, otherwise seperate the words. I haven't really looked into it properly, I just saw a couple of videos and had meant to check it out, the previous comment brought it to mind, I'd forgotten about it. It might be worth a look.
I have no plans to get pedals, but I'll definitely experiment with software.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
SOTW member littlewailer (Sean Winter) does a lot of stuff with pedals and loopers and what not. Haven't seen any posts by him in a while so I wonder how he's doing. You can check out his YouTube channel for lots of stuff like this;

·
TOTM administrator
5,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #255 ·
I have these in my MKVII, Roberto did the overhaul years ago, and they are nowhere near that high.
I was not aware you could order them already on pads, not sure I would go that route.
Interesting. All I did was order the pads with resos from MusicMedic... So that is how they mounted them and shipped them. My tech also commented but wasn't nearly as concerned.

·
TOTM administrator
5,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #256 ·
There's a guy on YouTube, Saxpedalguy, I think his channel name is joined, otherwise seperate the words. I haven't really looked into it properly, I just saw a couple of videos and had meant to check it out, the previous comment brought it to mind, I'd forgotten about it. It might be worth a look.
I have no plans to get pedals, but I'll definitely experiment with software.
Interesting! I'll have to check later outside of my work blocking youtube. Thanks!

SOTW member littlewailer (Sean Winter) does a lot of stuff with pedals and loopers and what not. Haven't seen any posts by him in a while so I wonder how he's doing. You can check out his YouTube channel for lots of stuff like this;

I watch Sean play quite often! But looping is one of the few things that I knew you could do. I just never looked into anything else for it! I did just realize he hasn't been commenting here in a while... Hopefully he is alright!

Still no update on this potential horn incoming... We shall see!

I did just receive word that my BSS Balam Premium strap shipped! Will be good to see how i like my bari/tenor with this! The Jazzlab Saxholder I have works great, but its rigidity bothers me. Always seem to have more gear inbound :)

·
TOTM administrator
5,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·
Balam premium strap is in! It's nice, but still gotta get it fitting rla bit better, but it's perfect for tenor/bari. My neck is happy though. Just Joe's is now my alto/soprano strap :)

Also picked up a Dynamic mic (SM57). A couple vocal tests, and it's running great!

But the real news! The new horn deal is a success :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Balam premium strap is in! It's nice, but still gotta get it fitting rla bit better, but it's perfect for tenor/bari. My neck is happy though. Just Joe's is now my alto/soprano strap :)

Also picked up a Dynamic mic (SM57). A couple vocal tests, and it's running great!

But the real news! The new horn deal is a success :)
A 57 is a good choice, a 58 might boost the bottom end of your vocals a little more (as you were concerned about earlier) but not be as good for the sax, so the 57 is definitely the way to go.
Congrats on the horn too!

Edit - I was reading up a bit just now and I saw this article, it sort of explains the effect that SM58s are great at, and why I love mine (when I can find it!). It'll come into play with the 57 too, but to a lesser extent, it might be something that you want to experiment with to record what you hear when you're singing live.

·
TOTM administrator
5,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #260 ·
A 57 is a good choice, a 58 might boost the bottom end of your vocals a little more (as you were concerned about earlier) but not be as good for the sax, so the 57 is definitely the way to go.
Congrats on the horn too!

Edit - I was reading up a bit just now and I saw this article, it sort of explains the effect that SM58s are great at, and why I love mine (when I can find it!). It'll come into play with the 57 too, but to a lesser extent, it might be something that you want to experiment with to record what you hear when you're singing live.
Yes, It was a drunken purchase, but I was impressed with the tests I did with the vocals. Haven't come up with a new recording idea for it yet - but the next time I feel inspired to run a vocal recording, I'll give it a shot. Worse that could happen is I buy an SM58 too. They are cheap, so doesn't bother me much :D

Very Excited about the horn for sure!

241 - 260 of 272 Posts