Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 274 Posts

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
5,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sax Friends! I've been slow on my posting (taking a short break from recordings after my Christmas videos and practicing a lot more to add some new skills to my repertoire!) I've been wondering what everyone is up to in the sax world, and I just wanted to know what new (or new to you) gear others are getting, hoping to get, or recently acquired! This can be gear of any kind, from horns or mpcs, to reeds, neckstraps, thumbhooks, or anything else. Just eager to hear what everyone is excited about lately.

Recently: I was gifted a reedgeek geeklet, a beautiful hand finished wooden mouthpiece rack and a new (backordered) recording microphone from Advanced Audio. Very excited about these additions (wish the mic was here), although it does make me want to fill up my new mouthpiece rack with even more gear. I've also got a nice fun trip planned to Sax Alley to get my tenor looked over, and I'll be hoping to playtest some things while I'm scheduled there.

And some other things that have piqued my interest (Sadly, not making any purchases anytime soon, but its nice to dream):
Chad-LBs Jazz Articulation Masterclass
King Super 20s
GS Reso Mouthpiece
Modern Borganis (love that pearl silver... but the special edition -Rose Gold and Silver - I can't stop looking at it)
Just Joes Neck Strap (forgot I wanted to buy one of these years ago, and a recent thread brought that back)
Windy City Woodwinds 3d Printed piece
Forza Thumbhook (definitely want to try this at least)
Phil Tone Isotope and Mosaic
Saxscape Downtown (or other Guardala Copies)
Eastman 850/852s
Silverstone Ambipoly Reeds
Vintage Brilharts (Always wanted some of these for my collection)
Set of new pads for my Conn stencil project
10mfan Celebration (of course I'd want to try this )
Vintage (Conn or King) Bari project (DIstant future idea, probably the only way I'll ever get a bari though... so expensive)

So, I could probably go on forever, but I am very intriqued of what kind of things have got the community interested!

(For non-gear heads and those who are content with what they have, happy to hear from everyone. But hoping this can be a happy thread for people to share. So please there is no need to lecture anyone here)

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,129 Posts
Lately I've been particularly lusting after a Zephyr tenor in the 280xxx - 320xxx range. But please don't help me find one, because I might buy it. My S1 is a vastly better horn than I am a player; I've already got an SDA that's living the closet-queen life and I don't really want to tie up any more funds that way.

I've also been thinking about indulging my passion for long-range precision shooting, with something like a Bergara Premier HMR Pro in 6.5 Creedmore. If there was a 1,000 yard range near me I might have already gotten one. Fortunately, there's not.

For years I've wanted to attend the Jackson Hole Steep and Deep camp; now that it's winter that one's on my mind a lot and I might actually do it next season. I have all the gear I need already. Same thing for the Inferno Mürren in Switzerland.

·
TOTM administrator
5,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Lately I've been particularly lusting after a Zephyr tenor in the 280xxx - 320xxx range. But please don't help me find one, because I might buy it. My S1 is a vastly better horn than I am a player; I've already got an SDA that's living the closet-queen life and I don't really want to tie up any more funds that way.

I've also been thinking about indulging my passion for long-range precision shooting, with something like a Bergara Premier HMR Pro in 6.5 Creedmore. If there was a 1,000 yard range near me I might have already gotten one. Fortunately, there's not.

For years I've wanted to attend the Jackson Hole Steep and Deep camp; now that it's winter that one's on my mind a lot and I might actually do it next season. I have all the gear I need already. Same thing for the Inferno Mürren in Switzerland.
Oh yeah! The Zephyr is one of those things I've always adored. I'd probably settle for one of those in superb condition in my lust for a super 20 (whenever I make a move on that)- especially the Zephyr special. I'll gladly avoid helping you on the hunt though :).

And of course, gear heads love gear in all their hobbies. I do enjoy some long-range shooting, as my years in the Marine Corps helped build that skill. However, i've not shot through anything other than a red dot sight or pistol irons for years. I've got my 1911 accuracy dialed in up to 25yds on irons though as I've been very happy with that. I am hoping to get a Vortex magnifier and flex sight for my RDB for some time though.

Can't say I'm familiar with the Jackson Hole camp you mention, but I've been through Jackson Hole many times (I grew up in Wyoming a little ways outside the East Yellowstone gate, as opposed to the southgate near Jackson.)

·
1,129 Posts
Can't say I'm familiar with the Jackson Hole camp you mention, but I've been through Jackson Hole many times (I grew up in Wyoming a little ways outside the East Yellowstone gate, as opposed to the southgate near Jackson.)
That is such spectacular country. I've only been there once, summertime in the early '90's, and I dearly want to return.

Question: coming home we headed north out of Jackson, then east to Casper. I remember seeing an auto boneyard on the north side of the highway, in my mind it was maybe five acres of really cool old stuff, lots of 40's and 50's models. Does that sound familiar? I've looked through some sat images through there, and can't find it (although I did find Hell's Half Acre... I wish we'd stopped, from the road it just looked like a crumbling building and dirt. If I'd only known what was over the edge.). When I think of going back to the Tetons I also think of coming home with a project car from that place.

·
TOTM administrator
5,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is such spectacular country. I've only been there once, summertime in the early '90's, and I dearly want to return.

Question: coming home we headed north out of Jackson, then east to Casper. I remember seeing an auto boneyard on the north side of the highway, in my mind it was maybe five acres of really cool old stuff, lots of 40's and 50's models. Does that sound familiar? I've looked through some sat images through there, and can't find it (although I did find Hell's Half Acre... I wish we'd stopped, from the road it just looked like a crumbling building and dirt. If I'd only known what was over the edge.). When I think of going back to the Tetons I also think of coming home with a project car from that place.
It is lovely, definitely recommend that everyone gets a chance to see the Northwestern Wyoming area. And yes, that junkyard does sound familiar. I believe its near Moneta, somewhere between Shoshone and Casper - you'd have to talk to the locals to figure out where it is and how to get access, as I've not a clue and its certainly not online. Probably family owned. Most of those cars looked pretty rough though - would make for a long project car(Another hopeful hobby of mine).

That stretch of road between Casper and Shoshone are pretty dull for the most part. If you happen to go north out of Shoshone, you can go through the Wind River Canyon, which is gorgeous. And its Definitely cool to see hell's half acre too. Very easily passed - like you said, it looks like nothing unless you stop! Its also fun how that long desertlike road takes you straight into the beautiful mountains :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a fancy for a baritone. I have been offered an Adolphe Sax one at sensible money but sadly the travel restrictions at this time in the U.K. have prevented from going to look at it yet and could do for some time to come.

·
1,129 Posts
I believe its near Moneta, somewhere between Shoshone and Casper - you'd have to talk to the locals to figure out where it is and how to get access, as I've not a clue and its certainly not online. Probably family owned. Most of those cars looked pretty rough though - would make for a long project car(Another hopeful hobby of mine).
Thanks, I think I found it at US26 and Co. Rd 104, about 30 miles east of Moneta. There's almost nothing left, but it looks like it was around 20 acres at one time and I remember it being loaded with stuff.

No saxophones, though. :)

·
TOTM administrator
5,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I think I found it at US26 and Co. Rd 104, about 30 miles east of Moneta. There's almost nothing left, but it looks like it was around 20 acres at one time and I remember it being loaded with stuff.

No saxophones, though. :)
Sounds about right! I drove that road very frequently between 2008-2010, and remember it being pretty full then. Probably forced to sell it for some reason or another. Most of those treasures are probably already in someones garage being worked on. And who knows, maybe there were some saxes in the trunks ;)

·
TOTM administrator
5,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a fancy for a baritone. I have been offered an Adolphe Sax one at sensible money but sadly the travel restrictions at this time in the U.K. have prevented from going to look at it yet and could do for some time to come.
It is indeed a tough time for trying horns. I'm very hopeful to get the chance to try some when I'm up at the sax shop here, but if the shop owner prefers I don't I'll just admire them from afar :). but here is to hoping that a Bari is in your near future!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sax Friends! I've been slow on my posting (taking a short break from recordings after my Christmas videos and practicing a lot more to add some new skills to my repertoire!) I've been wondering what everyone is up to in the sax world, and I just wanted to know what new (or new to you) gear others are getting, hoping to get, or recently acquired! This can be gear of any kind, from horns or mpcs, to reeds, neckstraps, thumbhooks, or anything else. Just eager to hear what everyone is excited about lately.

Recently: I was gifted a reedgeek geeklet, a beautiful hand finished wooden mouthpiece rack and a new (backordered) recording microphone from Advanced Audio. Very excited about these additions (wish the mic was here), although it does make me want to fill up my new mouthpiece rack with even more gear. I've also got a nice fun trip planned to Sax Alley to get my tenor looked over, and I'll be hoping to playtest some things while I'm scheduled there.

And some other things that have piqued my interest (Sadly, not making any purchases anytime soon, but its nice to dream):
Chad-LBs Jazz Articulation Masterclass
King Super 20s
GS Reso Mouthpiece
Modern Borganis (love that pearl silver... but the special edition -Rose Gold and Silver - I can't stop looking at it)
Just Joes Neck Strap (forgot I wanted to buy one of these years ago, and a recent thread brought that back)
Windy City Woodwinds 3d Printed piece
Forza Thumbhook (definitely want to try this at least)
Phil Tone Isotope and Mosaic
Saxscape Downtown (or other Guardala Copies)
Eastman 850/852s
Silverstone Ambipoly Reeds
Vintage Brilharts (Always wanted some of these for my collection)
Set of new pads for my Conn stencil project
10mfan Celebration (of course I'd want to try this )
Vintage (Conn or King) Bari project (DIstant future idea, probably the only way I'll ever get a bari though... so expensive)

So, I could probably go on forever, but I am very intriqued of what kind of things have got the community interested!

(For non-gear heads and those who are content with what they have, happy to hear from everyone. But hoping this can be a happy thread for people to share. So please there is no need to lecture anyone here)
I really love the just Joe’s neck strap.

·
Registered
66 Posts

6.5 is a pretty great projectile.

·
Registered
526 Posts
New Selmer Paris tenor will be announced Thursday Jan 14, almost certain to be under the Seles Axos brand.
Price and manufacturing details unknown. The original Axos Alto in 2015 had some parts manufactured in Asia but was designed and brass formed and assembled at main Selmer Paris factory. That plan may have changed to manufacture in Asia with only addition of neck and MP and final QA by Selmer.
I really liked my Axos Alto when I was starting out. Should have kept it but thought a Ref 54 would be a more suitable "jazz" horn (knowing nothing, then, and not much more now). Play only tenor these days.

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,151 Posts
It is lovely, definitely recommend that everyone gets a chance to see the Northwestern Wyoming area. And yes, that junkyard does sound familiar. I believe its near Moneta, somewhere between Shoshone and Casper - you'd have to talk to the locals to figure out where it is and how to get access, as I've not a clue and its certainly not online. Probably family owned. Most of those cars looked pretty rough though - would make for a long project car(Another hopeful hobby of mine).

That stretch of road between Casper and Shoshone are pretty dull for the most part. If you happen to go north out of Shoshone, you can go through the Wind River Canyon, which is gorgeous. And its Definitely cool to see hell's half acre too. Very easily passed - like you said, it looks like nothing unless you stop! Its also fun how that long desertlike road takes you straight into the beautiful mountains :)
Now you're making me want to go to Jackson. The wife and I took a tour through the area about five years ago. Beautiful country. I'm not sure about Hell's Half Acre. What is it? I know there used to be a place called Hell, CA somewhere in the Mojave desert. And I believe there was a Hell's Half Acre in Fort Worth, Texas somewhere. It was the red light district back when. Link - Hell, California - Wikipedia

Anyway, what is this Hell's Half Acre place in Wyoming?

As far as new gear, nah, I'm good. I just got my 1950s Harmotone silver colored genuine American-made plastic toy sax in the mail. I bought it for $10 on the shopgoodwill.com site. All of the reeds play except for one. It's the one that would be G on a real sax. Being over 50 years old I didn't expect it to be in playing condition. It was just something I picked up on a whim because ... well, just because. You understand, I'm sure.

Photo courtesy of Bassic Sax - mine looks exactly like that including the cool 1950s box. I didn't get the sheet music with it, unfortunately.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Mostly set saxophone wise. I’ve been playing with the idea of ordering a curved soprano with custom engraving for the fun of it but it’s clearly a want vs need. :)
I’m not playing much soprano these days but if we ever start playing in bars again my YSS 62RS is getting to be a unicorn and I’d feel much better about a sub $1K horn in public.

The next big thing for me will probably be a camera body upgrade. Fuji is rumored to be announcing a 102mp image stabilized GFX100S which would be my dream landscape/ portrait / macro camera.

I want to get the more substantial purchases done pre-retirement hehe...

·
TOTM administrator
5,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
New Selmer Paris tenor will be announced Thursday Jan 14, almost certain to be under the Seles Axos brand.
Price and manufacturing details unknown. The original Axos Alto in 2015 had some parts manufactured in Asia but was designed and brass formed and assembled at main Selmer Paris factory. That plan may have changed to manufacture in Asia with only addition of neck and MP and final QA by Selmer.
I really liked my Axos Alto when I was starting out. Should have kept it but thought a Ref 54 would be a more suitable "jazz" horn (knowing nothing, then, and not much more now). Play only tenor these days.
Very interesting! I often ignore Selmer happenings, as its usually far to expensive for my test. But the new owners could definitely capture another large part of the market here. I'll be eagerly watching for that news on the 14th.

Now you're making me want to go to Jackson. The wife and I took a tour through the area about five years ago. Beautiful country. I'm not sure about Hell's Half Acre. What is it? I know there used to be a place called Hell, CA somewhere in the Mojave desert. And I believe there was a Hell's Half Acre in Fort Worth, Texas somewhere. It was the red light district back when. Link - Hell, California - Wikipedia

Anyway, what is this Hell's Half Acre place in Wyoming?
It's a large (much larger than a half acre) area of basically no mans land, that is filled with alkali and clifs. Basically entirely white ground surrounded by the desert around, with huge cliffs and ravines. It's certainly something worth seeing. Empty as ever, like most of Wyoming - but the abrupt change in the ground from the brown desert and rolling hills is interesting, as it just seems to come out of nowhere. You can even see it on google maps, just a large white spot basically. Here's the full details:

As far as new gear, nah, I'm good. I just got my 1950s Harmotone silver toy sax in the mail. I bought it for $10 on the shopgoodwill.com site. All of the reeds play except for one. It's the one that would be G on a real sax. Being over 50 years old I didn't expect it to be in playing condition. It was just something I picked up on a whim because ... well, just because. You understand, I'm sure.
I saw you post a picture of that beauty. I wish they still made toys like that. Amazing it works though. The oddball things are my favorite pieces of gear :)

·
TOTM administrator
5,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mostly set saxophone wise. I’ve been playing with the idea of ordering a curved soprano with custom engraving for the fun of it but it’s clearly a want vs need. :)
I’m not playing much soprano these days but if we ever start playing in bars again my YSS 62RS is getting to be a unicorn and I’d feel much better about a sub $1K horn in public.
Well, I can't recommend the Eastern Music curved soprano saxes enough. I got it for sub $350 (including shipping). Have had 0 issues in just under a year of ownership. Definitely one of the best purchases I've made in a while :)

The next big thing for me will probably be a camera body upgrade. Fuji is rumored to be announcing a 102mp image stabilized GFX100S which would be my dream landscape/ portrait / macro camera.

I want to get the more substantial purchases done pre-retirement hehe...
Thats one I'd be scared to get into. My dad has the photography habit (he travels around Yellowstone, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and other nearby areas and photographs wildlife and landscapes). I feel like I'd never have money again if I add that habit

·
Registered
271 Posts
Well, I can't recommend the Eastern Music curved soprano saxes enough. I got it for sub $350 (including shipping). Have had 0 issues in just under a year of ownership. Definitely one of the best purchases I've made in a while :)

Thats one I'd be scared to get into. My dad has the photography habit (he travels around Yellowstone, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and other nearby areas and photographs wildlife and landscapes). I feel like I'd never have money again if I add that habit
Yes indeed - with lenses etc. it can be quite the rabbit hole. Get your dad’s castoffs :D
Honestly all relatively modern cameras and lenses are good these days. They don’t hold their value very well either.
Perfect for buying gently used gear.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I’m a big fan of the just Joe’s strap, I’d say order that either way! As far as gear, I have a love/hate thing with trying new mpcs. I like checking things out, but I have a terrible time getting used to anything new even if I’m unhappy with what I had been playing. But I’ve realized I do enjoy trying small things out like different ligs, lig screws, reeds, etc. probably will order some Boston Sax shop reeds to try, would like to try an Ishimori lig too but hard pressed to cough up the money for one. Sold a couple of mouthpieces to justify trying some more things out though, haha, maybe I will order something .!

·
TOTM administrator
5,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I’m a big fan of the just Joe’s strap, I’d say order that either way! As far as gear, I have a love/hate thing with trying new mpcs. I like checking things out, but I have a terrible time getting used to anything new even if I’m unhappy with what I had been playing. But I’ve realized I do enjoy trying small things out like different ligs, lig screws, reeds, etc. probably will order some Boston Sax shop reeds to try, would like to try an Ishimori lig too but hard pressed to cough up the money for one. Sold a couple of mouthpieces to justify trying some more things out though, haha, maybe I will order something .!
I may have to go out on a limb and go get the just joes strap. Hard to justify, as there is really nothing wrong with my current strap(s). I will say, I was in the same boat as you on the Ishimori ligs, until late last year it seemed like a BUNCH of used ones came up for sale all at the same time. I now have one for metal tenor, hr tenor, and HR soprano! Very happy with them :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Think I have my tenor mouthpieces dialed in. Still looking for the holy grail alto piece though. Always sniffing around other tenor saxes...Camera gear all done since I hit the mother lode of old Olympus stuff for free! Turned it in to $2800.00 (59 King alto purchased :) ) I kept several nice Olympus primes from the lot (200mm 300mm 400mm and 500mm) and adapted them to my Nikon DSLR. Also bought a telescope eyepiece I've wanted for about 30 years (TeleVue Nagler 12mm Type II) Now on to microscopes :O FB marketplace Zeiss 50's vintage compound stereo popped up at 1 a.m. Spent much of the early morning researching these things, phew!! Waiting for an answer to my offer. Oh, and guns, more optics? Maybe a new scope for my 1957 Winchester model 70 featherlight in .308?? And Wyoming/Montana...sigh. Was supposed to spend time at my friends in Clark WY last summer with my daughter her beau and the wife. Also some time in Red Lodge MT and back to Glacier too. I can't spend enough time in Glacier!!!! Shoot, more cane flyrods?? Nah, I have too many already!

1 - 20 of 274 Posts