Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I have a problem with the Ab (A flat) pad that is sticky on my soprano Sax (a Selmer 80 SA II) so that when I used the Ab key there is at best a slight but very annoying delay - and at worst it just remains stucked to the body.

I used some dedicated paper sheet with powder on the pad. It works a while but do not really fix the issue in the long term.

I am a very occasionnal player so that I did not really investigate the problem. I want to know wether there are some tips to really get rid of that problem or if some heavrir maintenance is required.

(I am new here - sorry if this has been dscussed before)

*** Edited *** oops ... I meant the Ab/G# key

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Are you sure you don't mean the G# key?

If so, this is almost normal on a modern Selmer Sop. The spring really needs to be stronger, and it is already as tensioned as it can be. Changing it is a reasonably big job, simply because access is difficult on account of Selmer designing the keys to be tangled together like a wire puzzle. (This is definitely true of SIII, and I am pretty sure it is also true of SII)

If you get your technician to do this, it may well be worth changing the pad at the same time, because Selmer has been using some pretty sticky pads.

And it may be worth telling your technician that it is easier if he takes the F# to Bb & G# regulator arm right off before taking more keys off (but mark its position first.) This makes the job of access a lot more straight forward.

If the problem is indeed F# (Gb) then likewise. Retension the spring if it is not already at its tension limit, or replace the spring with a slightly thicker one, and possibly change the pad.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
The following techniques can sometimes help:

-clean the pad and tonehole surface with a Q-Tip dipped in Naptha (lighter fluid)
-when dry follow that with Yamaha powder paper or a puff of Charile A's Gig Dust http://www.gigdust.com/
-if there is still some stickiness pull a strip of 800 - 1000 grit a few times across the tonehole abrasive side down with light pressure on the pad then repeat step 1
-if none of the above remove the stickiness---have the pad replaced
-if they do work, you can keep the pad from becoming sticky again by putting the sax away with a piece of index card or something similar between the pad and the tonehole to allow the pad to dry without contacting the tonehole

John

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
.... I meant the Ab/G# key.

Thanks for the input guys.

Strange that such an annoying problem seems to be almost normal with an - expensive - Selmer instrument.

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,983 Posts
Some people say the Roo pads are not sticky so maybe it is worth changing just this pad with a Roo pad? Might solve the problem. I didn't try so I can't say if it works.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
eidollon said:

Strange that such an annoying problem seems to be almost normal with an - expensive - Selmer instrument.
The sticky G# is a pretty common problem on the majority of saxes, and even more so now more makers are using waterproof pads that have a shiny plastic coating on the leather.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
eidollon said:

That's not the only annoying thing Selmer does. I suspect that they no longer have a mechanical design engineer on their staff any where near as capable of whoever was there during Mark VI era.

"The sticky G# is a pretty common problem on the majority of saxes"
Some truth in that - I would not have used the word 'majority' myself - but as I say, far worse than most saxes on a modern Selmer Sop G#.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts