Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a MBII Gaudala and i was just wondering if some of the professional players on here have had the same trouble im having. I had this piece opened to a 130 which is the same opening as my link and i think because of the duckbill shape it is really killing me if i have to play for long periods at a time, like a 45 minute dance set with just a rhythm section. I was using rico jazz select 3 medium filed reed, but they were to soft and horrible, so i switched to V-16s #3 which sound great but i think are a little to hard

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,919 Posts
That's a lot of difference in tip opening between the original and the reface, Guardala designed the mouthpiece so that every aspect was in balance, ie the relationship between the baffle, chamber and tip is quite important. Once you change one thing, then that balance is upset. The best thing to do is to experiment with reeds.

One thing that might improve things for you is to have the length of the facing increased.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Maker
1,816 Posts
It's not going to be the duckbill causing you problems. Most players will be worn out after a 45 minute quartet set on that setup. If you have to manage the sound and feel by opening the piece up that much and playing that hard a reed, maybe this isn't the right mouthpiece for what you're trying to do. An embouchure issue is also a possibility -- I could see this happening to you if you're a biter.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mojo thats a great idea and i have been playing for over 20 years and can assure you i am not a biter

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
Your Guardala set-up is telling your chops something. Either the tip opening feels too large, or the facing is too short (I doubt your refacer would have done this), or the reed is too hard. The shape of the beak may be a factor, but I think the stuff I listed is more likely. Try dropping down in reed strength until it feels better.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Mojo no my refacer did a great job, because my refacer was you, but i was using rico jazz select 3 med and they are just ****. I tried using vandoren v-16 2.5 but they were too soft and the 3 are too hard. So at this point im at a no win situation. so I guess Ill just put it on e-bay and get rid of it and try the new theo wanne Datta 9, and spend some more money i dont have, or go back to my link which i checked next to each other and they are the same opening.

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
I checked my Emails from last year. Now I know who you are. You can try trimming up the 2.5 reeds or scraping down the 3s to get an in-between reed strength.

But since you have been trying it for a long time, the .131" MB2 is probably just not a good fit for you. I can reduce the tip opening a little so you can use #3 reeds on it. You wanna try that or just sell it?

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Hey Mojo no my refacer did a great job, because my refacer was you, but i was using rico jazz select 3 med and they are just ****. I tried using vandoren v-16 2.5 but they were too soft and the 3 are too hard. So at this point im at a no win situation. so I guess Ill just put it on e-bay and get rid of it and try the new theo wanne Datta 9, and spend some more money i dont have, or go back to my link which i checked next to each other and they are the same opening.
Try Vandoren Java red box 2 1/2's or 3's before giving up on the mouthpiece.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Try Vandoren Java red box 2 1/2's or 3's before giving up on the mouthpiece.
I have tried those they are one of the worst reeds i have ever used. Every one of them you can fold the ends over like a piece of paper and are incredibly stuffy sounding, thanks for the advice though i appreciate it

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Sorry you had a bad experience with them.

I've had some questionable boxes myself.

When they first came out they were all good.

Now they're just like any other brand.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts