Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Gator threads are pretty old, so I wanted to get a read on owners' experiences with them, so far. Are they holding up?

Other than Gators, what other 'cheap' cases are you all diggin' now? I'm looking to replace (on a budget) the original zipper case for my VI tenor and a soprano case that is literally being held together with packing tape. I'll include a pic of that just for giggles.

I don't play outside of my house very much at all, just an occasional shed session.

View attachment 220332

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,502 Posts
Gators are fairly cheaply made imho. My B&S tenor came with a SKB which was okay for awhile but I switched to Bam Cabine and I am completely happy and not worried about damage. I bought mine slightly used and saved money.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
These cases have a lot of space inside since they are designed to be able to handle virtually any horn. Your VI will definitely fit but very loosely. I'd look for something that's a closer fit, maybe a Protec or something designed to fit a vintage Selmer better, or your liable to be paying a lot of money for adjustments and regulation from your horn being knocked around.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,324 Posts
I have a Gator alto case and my Mark VI is very loose in it. It does fit my LA Sax LA-750 (my bar horn) very well. Second the Protec, or for a really good fit the BAM Contour. The only problem with the BAM is that there is very little room inside for accessories.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
I was astounded when my Gator case arrived. It was so light (pinky finger held it) that I thought I had been scammed, that the mailing box was empty. I got it because I wanted something that was more protective than a gig bag, but still that light because at the time, I was playing (and lugging) multiple horns and equipment to my gigs. If that what you need, it works well.

But if you need it to be more reliable, when I went on a trans-country tour of Estonia, my horn went in a Johnson.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
As Gary says, if light and cheap with OK day to day protection are the main requirements then the Gator GL fits the bill, its what I trust to carry my B&S tenor around in because I dont want the weight and bulk of the original (very good) BAM case that it came in for everyday use. But Im carefull with it and dont handle it roughly because I know its a bit of a compromise. Been using it 10 years or so and the case and zippers have held up well, although the strap that connects the 2 halves of the clamshell together to stop it opening completely flat has broken off, but frankly thats no big deal to me.

On the other hand, if I was carrying something with the sticker price of a VI around, I would probably want something with a tighter fit and a little more protection, and would pay a bit more to get that, as a kind of insurance policy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts