Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Long time lurker first time poster!

I ordered a gator hard-shell case for my tenor a couple weeks ago (it should have been in by now, but hey! who's counting!) So while I'm patiently waiting for it, I thought you guys could share your thoughts, good or bad about them!
From what i can tell they look pretty sturdy and compact. That's what kind of turned me on to them.

·
Registered
132 Posts
99% of SOTW - "eh it's pretty good I guess. It's not the best case, it's not the worse, reasonably good value if it's a good fit. It's probably better than a gig bag"

Jaared (replace 'ProTec' with 'Gator') - "Hello skully12.

I used to own and use ProTec cases for my alto and soprano sax. The alto case was a contoured ProTec International case that was covered in dark brown "chocolate" leather....and it carried a Mark VI alto in it. Carrying it on my back using the shoulder strap one day going through security at Reagan National Airport in Washington, D.C., the strap broke from the strap "ring" on the case.....well....sax case hit the ground with a thud....(about a 3 foot drop). When I opened the case, the body tube on my Mark VI was bent. I'm a repairman as well, (over 20 years), so I was "luckily" able to straighten my body perfectly again.

Needless to say, I will NEVER own another ProTec case....EVER!

The problem with the ProTec cases, (along with most others), is the "fit". While having your case opened, with your sax laying in it, if your sax moves AT ALL, then that spells potential disaster if your sax ever takes a fall in the case. That was what mainly bent the body of my sax....was the loose fit on the inside, along with the "flex" from the case due to the impact. That's why I now have custom made cases that are built "around" my exact saxophones...as that's the ONLY way to ensure proper protection. Most people think, (or take for granted), that the most important part of a cases job is to protect the sax from a hit from the "outside"...in other words, to protect the sax from the "outside in".....however, most people don't realize just how important it is to protect the sax from the "inside out". To me, it's ever bit as important to have a proper fit with NO MOVEMENT at all on the inside.

Hope this helps skully12.

All the best."

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,831 Posts
i have a gator case, but its the zip up" design fabric and although it works" a lot of the stitching has come away, it s ok but im sure the hard case would be better!..

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
831 Posts
I have the vintage hard (wood) case for my trumpet and it it seems to protect the horn. The cases are made in China, though, and the quality doesn't seem that great.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
For the money, they are a good buy and afford reasonable protection under normal use, that is, around town in the car, to and from rehearsal, gigs, school etc, . As with anything else, if you you are going to give it rough use, flying, stacking with other cases, thrown in the bottom of a bus, etc, it's probably best to look at a higher end hard case. I've had one (a Gator hard sided nylon) for my tenor for 4 years and it works just fine for what I do. I will say however that I am the only one who ever handles it,

·
Registered
14 Posts
I use a hard gator for my tenor, all I can say is that they are great, Ive never had any problem with it, though i've never dropped it with the saxophone or anything it.

I have transported it overseas on a plane, and I played it quite extensively after, and found no problems with it.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Most people think, (or take for granted), that the most important part of a cases job is to protect the sax from a hit from the "outside"...in other words, to protect the sax from the "outside in".....however, most people don't realize just how important it is to protect the sax from the "inside out". To me, it's ever bit as important to have a proper fit with NO MOVEMENT at all on the inside.

All the best."
This is a striking parallel to the dynamics of traumatic brain injury-- where much of the brain damage is simply the brain slamming against the INTERIOR of the skull. Our brains literally "float" inside our skulls in a thin layer of cerebrospinal fluid, and this has a downside.....

·
Registered
439 Posts
So, Skully12, are you happy with your Gator? I used mine for 2 years and was as happy with it. I replaced it for a double case from Manning, but the Gator served me well.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Exactly correct! This is precisely what I'm getting at. But for the most part, people don't get it, or just don't care. Most people think that they have the situation under control and that NOTHING will ever happen to their instrument while they have it in their "control". Life happens. Accidents DO happen. That's why I, personally, prepare for the worst possible scenario when it comes to my saxophones...and that's why I take the best precautionary measures I can...especially when traveling. ;)
What cases do an excellent job? What would you recommend?

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts

·
6,831 Posts
You can say that again!

Aside from an Anvil case, or other similar Custom fit cases, one just has to find the best case for the money in the pre-built market. For me, most of those fancy cases cost more than the saxes inside them! If I had a very expensive sax, then I would shield it with a very expensive case. However, my ProTec shaped Alto case has served every ALto I have put inside it, very well for the past 10 years (and that does include a few drops!). The Tenor ProTec shaped case, worked very well for some Tenors, but only OK for others. My Couf won't fit inside it, so I'm still using the stock Couf case.

·
3,202 Posts
I bought a Gator case recently to hold my BA (in the closet) because the original case stunk so bad. I bought it online which was a mistake. It's ok construction wise but all three of my tenors Conn 10m, MKVI and BA fit really sloppy in it so if you have one of those models you will need to add foam or some kind of modification or you will get brain damage if you drop it.:)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Any case that is designed as carry-on luggage is still probably too large to fit the actual carry on dimensions. However, i have never been asked to "gate check" a horn that was carried on in a berklee case

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well after waiting for what seemed like an eternity for this case, finally got it! And so far I'm pretty happy with it! After reading some of the stories I was a little Inervous about the fit of the case but overall it was alright. It works for what I do (traveling too and from school, rehearsal, etc.) but if I were to ever go overseas i would probably add some extra padding or something. As far as storage goes, again it works for what I need. For the most of my saxophone storage, I use my protec alto case (which fits my Martin Handcraft beautifully might I add) so all I need to put in my tenor case is a read case, the extra parts of my optimum lig, and some extra little trinkets. As far as outside protection, this thing is pretty much built like a tank.The outer shell is very sturdy and I've clumsily bumped a wall or two with not much noticeable damage.
Overall I would have to say I'm satisfied with this case, good construction, good storage for what it is, and it was a decent fit for my horn. for what i paid, (a little over $100 CDN) I am very happy!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts