Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you lard butts had this or known any players that have? I'm wondering how long it took to recuperate before you started blowing your axe again?

thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
I'm hoping Gastric by-pass surgery isn't an elective surgery. If it is I think people that would elect to have this done instead of diet and excersise have reached the utter peak of laziness.

I read that 30% of adults in the US are obese.

66% of adults in the US are over weight.

These figures blow my mind and something needs to be done about fast before it gets even worse.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyhow,
jazzbluescat said:
Have any of you lard butts had this or known any players that have? I'm wondering how long it took to recuperate before you started blowing your axe again?

thanks

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017, Distinguished SOTW me
3,426 Posts
You will always get "I'm better than you" responses when you ask questions like this.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,110 Posts
My future brother in-law had it or a similar procedure but I haven't asked him about it yet. Had it done well before I met him, but he's a healthy guy now, really takes care of himself.

It turned out we went to school together for a year and the first time we met I was trying to remember any common memories we might have. at that point I didn't know about his background and being the idiot I am, I said "gee I can't particularly remember any weird or morbidly obese kids, haha." The look of horror on my in-laws faces should have clued me in but right over my head it went. Thank God he's cool, he just let it go, didn't say a thing. Needless to say if I hadn't been told I'd have never known from his appearance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,005 Posts
heath said:
I read that 30% of adults in the US are obese...
66% of adults in the US are over weight.
Yes, if you judge them as per a body weight to height ratio which was the product of 19th century mores. Of course the medical community has adapted this standard because it makes more people overweight and/or obese; and thus needing medical care. Once more, just the further medicalization of the human condition. If you can treat it, you can bill for it. It is a freaking industry in and of itself.

Wake up man...

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
Good God, cymru97, that new avatar is diVINE...[grins lecherously]..

On topic: All the best, whether it's you or friend/family, jazzbluescat. I suffer from some gastric troubles myself and take pills for a hiatus hernia. I imagine the prognosis would be good but there'd be quite a while waiting to heal after this kind of surgery. It seems to me that the demanding breathing techniques involved in playing sax would mean you'd have to be quite careful for a while after the op.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,110 Posts
RootyTootoot said:
Good God, cymru97, that new avatar is diVINE...[grins lecherously].
Ah, thanks. I was getting some bad vibes from the sweaty nerd so I axed him. Miss Liberty Belle is a marked improvement, I get to stare out my window at her everyday so I thought I'd share with everyone else.

Back on topic -

I too hope everything works out well if you (jazzbluescat) or a loved one will be undergoing this surgery. I know it was a life-altering decision for my future brother-in-law and his dedication to his health and life are most certainly not that of a "lazy" person, as a matter of fact I admire his progress. I could lose about 50 pounds and I wish I had his willpower. Wish I had more answers specific to the sax, but I can tell you he's a new man and can do anything.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,124 Posts
Grumps said:
Of course the medical community has adapted this standard because it makes more people overweight and/or obese; and thus needing medical care.
This is nonsense. I am neither trying to argue that there isn't a lot of commercial interests in obesity nor advocate for gastric by-pass surgery or other invasive procedures to remedy obesity. However, you don't need any medical standards or a medical background to establish that there is a huge problem. If you don't like the scale, just look at type-2 diabetes or other diseases that are secondary to obesity. It is facts, facts, facts, and illogical to argue the opposite.

·
26,005 Posts
brasscane said:
It is facts, facts, facts, and illogical to argue the opposite.
It is hype, hype, hype and more hype. A society being overweight has more to do with affluence, as we are simply biological creatures programmed to eat and procreate. The people telling you it's a huge problem will also have their hands in your pocket. Fact, fact, fact, fact...

·
Registered
268 Posts
There was a relatively large guy who owned a Mini Cooper.

License plate read: [YESIFIT]

Thank you, this has been your light moment of the thread.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
So Grumps can we take it that you're overweight?

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017, Distinguished SOTW me
3,426 Posts
Then there is the incredibly over weight picture of a guy who's T shirt reads
"I Beat Anorexia"

·
4,124 Posts
Grumps said:
It is hype, hype, hype and more hype. A society being overweight has more to do with affluence, as we are simply biological creatures programmed to eat and procreate. The people telling you it's a huge problem will also have their hands in your pocket. Fact, fact, fact, fact...
Actually, there is an inverse correlation between wealth and weight. There are piles of data that no logician can refute. I take it that your were just joking and wanted to stimulate the discussion.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
brasscane said:
Actually, there is an inverse correlation between wealth and weight. There are piles of data that no logician can refute. I take it that your were just joking and wanted to stimulate the discussion.
I would agree with you, except that the studies that you're talking about only take into account the somewhat skewed wealth/weight of the US, whose poor have easier access to food than many other societies. I think if you looked at the figures for ALL humans, you would find differently.

·
4,124 Posts
hakukani said:
I would agree with you, except that the studies that you're talking about only take into account the somewhat skewed wealth/weight of the US, whose poor have easier access to food than many other societies. I think if you looked at the figures for ALL humans, you would find differently.
Sure, if you compare populations with ready access to food to those who are starving, you have made a point, but not one that is productive in any way in dealing with obesity. If you look at western societies where gastric by-pass surgeries are performed, affluence does on average help in offsetting the negative consequences of appetite. Besides, just what kinds of food do the poorer populations in Western societies have access to? You know the answer.

·
26,005 Posts
brasscane said:
Actually, there is an inverse correlation between wealth and weight.
Was going to say tell that to the children of the starving nations, but that would be too easy...

·
4,124 Posts
Grumps said:
Was going to say tell that to the children of the starving nations, but that would be too easy...
See above. Sorry, I didn't perceive this thread to be addressing starvation or starving nations; rather the opposite.

Anyway, getting back to the original question, 6 weeks after major abdominal surgery is conservative assuming everything goes well. You are likely to be able to play again sooner.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
My brother had the lap-band surgery and that was only slightly inconvenient (I think he was only a couple of weeks on the disabled list).

That's my attempt for staying on topic with this.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Swampcabbage said:
...That's my attempt for staying on topic with this.
Thank you. Geez, we sure wouldn't want jazzbluecat to be the center of this discussion, would we.

jazzbluecat, I can't give you any advice, only best wishes to you for a safe operation and recovery. :)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts