Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
currently i own a P. Mauriat PMXA 67R, i really had to stick out a limb for this sax since it wasnt a big name like a yamaha. at the time i bought it (about 8 months ago) i had a budget of $2000 and came in at $1800. theres been serveral times where i felt this sax isnt what i need to get serious, now my director has a series I for sale and it's driving me crazy! he has had it for several years now, he bought it for 2900 and it needed work now he's selling it for 2800 nothing needed. my private teacher (who happens to be my directors former teacher) says that it plays like a dream. i know i should try it first but i have a feeling that if i jump the gun now i'll get taken over by GAS:!: i think if this sax really is the one then i can either work something out with my parents or sell the mauriat...am i just having a GAS "flash"? :?
-E.L.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
E.L. The Sax said:
currently i own a P. Mauriat PMXA 67R, i really had to stick out a limb for this sax since it wasnt a big name like a yamaha. at the time i bought it (about 8 months ago) i had a budget of $2000 and came in at $1800. theres been serveral times where i felt this sax isnt what i need to get serious, now my director has a series I for sale and it's driving me crazy! he has had it for several years now, he bought it for 2900 and it needed work now he's selling it for 2800 nothing needed. my private teacher (who happens to be my directors former teacher) says that it plays like a dream. i know i should try it first but i have a feeling that if i jump the gun now i'll get taken over by GAS:!: i think if this sax really is the one then i can either work something out with my parents or sell the mauriat...am i just having a GAS "flash"? :?
-E.L.
Play it! That's the only way you'll be able to rest. If it plays nice and you feel it's worth the hassle of selling your PM and coming up with the extra cash then go for it, otherwise it could be that Gasex to settle the attack.
Play it and find out.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think something to think about is how much you'll really gain from getting a new sax. It's easy to get the "grass is greener" attitude when thinking about the advantages of a new horn, but be careful not to let the GAS fog your brain. Is a new horn reaalllyy going to make your sound and technique better, or should you just get your but in the practice room and work a little harder? :)

I don't have a ton of experience on P. Mauriats, but I tried several of their horns at vendors booths at music conventions, and I've never been disappointed. And that's coming from someone who's played a Selmer Mark VI, serial 76XXX for several years.

However, Selmers are tried & true great horns (most of 'em) while Mauriats are a relatively new name to the market. If you've got an old pro saying that it's a great horn, you try it out, love it and you've got the cash, go for it. Your mauriat would make a great back up horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,861 Posts
Jbroad is right...play it and play it a long time to get an idea if it really floats your boat.

Series I horns do not demand the price being asked of you....

I have played a bunch of them, and they all left me yawning except one, which could peel paint. Your friend may have one of the paint peelers, I don't know.:?

I do know that you would most likely never get the price being asked for it on the current market, if you were to buy it and decide to sell.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well what do you think is a fair price if it turns out to be a "paint peeler"? i've seen it once before upclose, what i remember is that it's around 95% or more original lacquer, i believe no resolders, no dents or dings. i'll go check it out again tomorrow. if i can provide a more reasonable price he may change it since he seems to like me (awkward yet useful at the same time).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,861 Posts
E.L., here is the way it goes on this website...I give you my idea of a good price, and a dozen or more people will chime in with what they they think is "fair" or comments like, "no way, that is too low..." ad naseum...:cool:

So, that being said, for a Series I in great shape, $1900.00- tops. If it really plays, maybe $2,000.00 and you should swear to yourself that you will keep it forever, because you will never get that much out of it.;)

For me though, I would never pay over 1700.00 for a Series I in any condition if I were thinking possible resale.

Here in Japan (Selmer fanatics abound) a Series I will draw 1200.00 to 1800.00 depending on the condition; but even that is hard to get these days on auctions for minty horns. MK VII's draw more cash than Series I's....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
Do yourself a favor...take the $2,800 and buy yourself a new Yamaha!:)
Or pick up a Keilwerth SX90.....don't buy that overpriced Series I(Randall knows what he's talking about!)...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts