Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what baritone sax and mthpc Gary Smulyan uses?

I think he plays a Otto link.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Smulyan plays a Conn 12M with a (reportedly) modified Otto Link STM. For further details, I'd suggest you do a search as this topic has been covered several times.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,381 Posts
Smulyan plays a Conn 12M with a (reportedly) modified Otto Link STM.
I looked inside his STM and there is an added metal baffle. A very neat job that has been there since his WH days.

He was recommending V16 with Vandoren on u tube.
He played it too. At the time it was his spare and he seemed to enjoy it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I missed his recent concert at the University of Central Florida on November 21st but I was told he was playing his Link mouthpiece.

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
conn naked lady 250xxx -link 10*- vandoren traditional 2.5
That's also what I heard, with the addition that it's a Florida Link he plays (not a modern STM). Saw him a few month ago live in the Bimhuis in Amsterdam.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,381 Posts
I looked inside his STM and there is an added metal baffle. A very neat job that has been there since his WH days.
That's also what I heard, with the addition that it's a Florida Link he plays (not a modern STM).
I stand corrected. The mouthpiece I looked inside was an old Link. He also told me the name of the guy in LA that put the baffle at the time, but I don't remember.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
1,898 Posts
There are quite a few vids of him on youtube play the V16, but I guess he still performs with the Link. He has that V16 pulled waaay out on the neck.

·
Registered
567 Posts
He just posted on facebook that he is looking to try some Larsons. His Link is getting a bit long in the tooth and has been dropped and fixed a couple of times.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts