Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I saw him in Boston with Brian Bromberg around 2007 - 2008. He is playing an unmodified STM 7*

Nuthin' fancy

What surprised me is how much I enjoyed him live but ten, when I bought some of his own recordings, how boring and overproduced they were. He has a great sound and it was all covered up by reverb :-(

·
Registered
332 Posts
Best Gary Meek I had heard (never had the opportunity to hear him live) was with Weckl band on 'Live and Very Plugged In'. Then I bought a studio recording and had same experience as kevvieg.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,791 Posts
Best Gary Meek I had heard (never had the opportunity to hear him live) was with Weckl band on 'Live and Very Plugged In'. Then I bought a studio recording and had same experience as kevvieg.
I was just going to mention that. He sounds pretty killer on that recording. I don't know what he plays but when I heard it the first thing I thought was " a guy playing funk on a link" and sounding great!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I saw him playing with Jeff Lorber live. Pretty good overblown funk sound but sounded rather pushed. I talked to him afterwards about his setup and he said an older STM 7*. He was kind of a d*ck in person though so I wrote him off.... especially after hearing his recordings. We have local players that kill him live anyway.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,116 Posts
I saw him playing with Jeff Lorber live. Pretty good overblown funk sound but sounded rather pushed. I talked to him afterwards about his setup and he said an older STM 7*. He was kind of a d*ck in person though so I wrote him off.... especially after hearing his recordings. We have local players that kill him live anyway.
Gary's actually a super nice guy. I've taken a dozen or so lessons from him and he's really supportive, not pushy or anything, despite my lousy reading. He's a great player and did a ton to help my finger technique and reading.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
He was very nice to me. I commented that he was a great player but I was surprised that I had never heard him. He talked about his setup and his work with Weckl. No penile attitude at all but, as with many things, Not everyone gets the same experience every time.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Maybe he was having an off night but I watched me pretty much walk away from a small group of people complimenting on his sound.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts