Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had GarageBand for a while and can't seem get any use out of it. Can someone shed some light on how this might be a good utility? It must be good for something. How do you guys use it?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have done many self recording playing along with abersold tracks or recording etudes to listen and analyze my own playing. I can help you with any functionality questions you have

·
Registered
140 Posts
I haven't tried it, but GuitarCenters offer Saturday instruction sessions on Garageband. If you have a local shop, ask about it.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,345 Posts
I use it with a presonus fire studio which gets me six mikes and a stereo piano track all presented as separate "strips" which you can apply different effects, compression and panning to. I learn something new out of every recording and find it very easy to use. Protools and the like I find way too complicated, garage band seems way more intuitive to me

Here's the result I get

http://www.blackfedora.info/14jul/blackcoffee.mp3
http://www.blackfedora.info/bigspender.mp3

·
4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let's first answer WHY? Why do I need GarageBand? I can record myself and dub in an Aebersold track. I don't need GarageBand for that.

What if I wanted to create a backing track to "Take the A Train"... Can I do that in GB? I know I can do that in BIAB.

What if I wanted to print out and write original sheetmusic over a GB loop. Can I do that in GB? How?

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,345 Posts
I dont think you can do multitrack recording in BIAB. So if you dont need to do that, maybe you dont need GB?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,874 Posts
It sounds like you just don't need GB. There are other ways of doing what GB offers. For simple recording and backing tracks GB is what I have and am accustomed to using so I ask, "why would I need anything else?"

·
4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like the sounds and riffs in GB. How do I use them to make a backing track for something like "Watermelon Man."?

·
Registered
542 Posts
The only thing I know how to do in Garage Band is to record myself with my Zoom H4, download the track, and mix it with the Aebersold backing tracks inside of GB and then create an mp3 from it.:cheers:

·
4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The only thing I know how to do in Garage Band is to record myself with my Zoom H4, download the track, and mix it with the Aebersold backing tracks inside of GB and then create an mp3 from it.:cheers:
Ok. Good enough. I can use it for that.
And I guess the loops can be fun (for about 30 seconds) to jam to. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing anything.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,273 Posts
GB is a consumer version of Logic Express which is the pro-sumer version of Logic Pro. Each offers greater level of capabilities, higher cost as well as complexity. GB is great basic for recording and looping samples. If you need more, you'll want to step up to Logic.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,199 Posts
Let's first answer WHY? Why do I need GarageBand? I can record myself and dub in an Aebersold track. I don't need GarageBand for that.

What if I wanted to create a backing track to "Take the A Train"... Can I do that in GB? I know I can do that in BIAB.

What if I wanted to print out and write original sheetmusic over a GB loop. Can I do that in GB? How?
It sounds like you are already setup to do what GarageBand does without it. Sounds like you dont need it. It can't do any if these things you ask. Steve

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
I like the sounds and riffs in GB. How do I use them to make a backing track for something like "Watermelon Man."?
You could use something like Band In A Box to generate the backing automatically, export as a MIDI file and then open that MIDI file in Garageband to use the better quality sounds that it provides.

In fact, if you're just interested in any potential use for Garageband, the drum loops can be more interesting to practise with than a metronome if you're working on your time feel. The fact that you're working with a pattern rather than just a click allows you to feel where you are in the bar at all times.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.