Sax on the Web Forum banner

Gap -- European University of Saxophone

17K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  Ladyday 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I posted a question in another thread, but think my search for information would be much more fruitful if I just started a new thread. Does anybody have any information on whether or not they will be holding the European University of Saxophone in Gap, France this summer? Anyway, whom should I contact? Currently, the only email address I could locate was Claude Delangle's and I don't want to bother him with a request for information (especially since my French is not good enough at this point to write to him in French.) Any and all help you could offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

#6 ·
Man, that looks inspiring. Is the instruction bi-lingual (French/English)?

#7 ·
gary said:
Man, that looks inspiring. Is the instruction bi-lingual (French/English)?
Yes all the teachers speak both French and English, so things like masterclasses will either be done in both, or sometimes just English as most of the French guys there can speak it.
It looks like it is running from 13th-26th July next year, and the teachers will be Arno Borknamp, Claude Delangle, Vincent David, Jean-Denis Michat, Christian Wirth, Damien Royannais and Philippe Bracquart.
Most evenings one of the teachers will perform a concert.
Well worth attending.

#13 ·
I've got two questions I'm hoping someone can answer:
1.) what is -- "Required level : End of studies ENM / CNR"? and,

2.) Is this a program for young professional classical performers or are there any old guys there (as students)?

Thanks.

#14 ·
The required level isn't an issue really. Having heard your clips Gary it's not a problem for you. In terms of age it really varies. One component of Gap is the under 18 competition (It contains a fair bit of prestige in Europe). However the bulk of the student when I attended ranged from about 20-25. A lot of whom are striving to get into a class with say Delangle or looking who they want to further their study off. Yet there are also older attendees. My advice is that if you don't mind hanging out with people in their mid 20's for a week and a half you'll have a life changing experience. The lessons are amazing and the concerts ridiculous. Beside the teachers mentioned earlier, each year there is also a quartet is residence. This rotates between Habanera, Aurelia, Arcanes and Diastema. An absolutely amazing course who anyone has attended will vouch for.

#16 ·
The age limit for the comp might have changed since I went. Funnily enough the year I was there a 16 year old French girl played Berio Sequenza IXb, really well! She also played this in a masterclass with David, but the best part of her general playing was her sop tone she had when doing Villa-lobos. She came second in the comp, I wonder what's happened to her now.

#17 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info, A. Smith. I hang out with players 1/2 to 1/3 of my age every summer at various workshops so that's not problem for me. I dig it. This sounds really interesting and exciting. It might be quite a contrast to the Berklee/New School workshops in Italy I usually go to.

Bluelight - I can't access the links given above at the moment, but I believe I read last night on the web site that the competition was for 18 and under.

#18 ·
The age limit for the competition this year was 19 and under.
There was not a quartet in residence this year, I am not sure about next year, although there was no mention of it on the course.
However the saxophone ensemble of Paris Conservatoire were there for the competition, as they accompanied the finalists, and also played a concert just before the finals.

#22 ·
Hi all,

to anyone who has attended the course before, my friend will be attending this course. I meanwhile, do not play the sax but have been studying in paris for the past six months, so would love to stay with my friend while she's at the workshop.

Is this possible at all? We don't mind squishing a bit, having gotten used to that in Paris. But is it allowed by the organisers and is there much to do in the area if one's not in class?

thanks in advance!

#23 ·
The accomodation (if using the course one) is shared. From memory there are four people per room. Rooms are male or female (not combined). Sharing might be tricky, and if you haven't paid for it in advance I can't see them being too keen for it.

In terms of Gap if your not playing sax, well its essentially a sleepy little French village (except for night time). However as near the alps there are plenty of physical activities. There are some massive lakes, a lot of people do some bike riding and mountain climbing. It's pretty warm there so the idea is fun in the sun.

Depends what you like doing. You can also camp in Gap. The year I went Arno camped up in the mountains then came to the general accomodation for meals. So you'd have to check. Contact Bruno, his details are on the website.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.