Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been keen on sax gadgetry. Reed trimmers, reed working stuff, mouthpieces (obviously!), thumb savers/rests, replacemnt hooks, wonder ligatures etc etc. It occurred to me that when I'm teaching i tend to warn students off this kind of thing. Then I thought.. Why? Some of my gadgets have actually helped my playing quite a bit. Any views/experiences?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
623 Posts
Well i think a Rovner ligature is "cooler" than a conventional ligature and also easier to use, for a young student.

Also I found a "music rule" device that is helpful to learn music theory that is sold from Australia, i think it is sold on Ebay. IT is similar to the BRadley's Music Rule that is discontinued.

Also i have a young student that just got a digital recorder (records sound, not a wind instrument) that is a useful gadget too.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thks for reply. Good tips. I also tend to recommend a Rovner type lig for younger and esp older students. I did also recommend the Ton Kooinam thumbrest (clt) to a student with arthritis problems and it helped a lot (it helps me a lot even without the arthritis)

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
Remember, all tools are good. There are four basic styles of learning.

VARK= Visual, Aural, Reading, Kinesthetic.

I add one more. THREATS. It works, and uses all of the above;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts