Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Yamaha YAS-34II Allegro Alto that I really like, but it is not quite getting the tone I am seeking. I usually use a Selmer C* or a Meyer 5 mouthpiece for playing in our Praise Band at church but the tone is a little more focused than I would like for it to be. I am looking for a bigger fatter warm (hopefully that makes sense...lol) tone than what I am currently getting. I am using the stock neck at this time and I understand that later 34IIs had the G1 neck. My hope is that a G1 or V1 neck will help me attain the tone I am seeking. I have read the later 34IIs came with the G1 neck so I am hoping it will be essentially a easy swap and the octave key mechanism will not need lengthening or adjusting. Any thoughts, experiences or ideas on either neck? Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,200 Posts
If I remember correctly, the Allegro line was discontinued when the 475's were introduced.
They were/are nice playing horns. I didn't like the clarinets, but the saxophones and trumpets give you a pretty big bang for your buck, so to speak...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I have gathered on SOTW, the 34II is essentially a 62 body and keywork, but with the bell from a 475 (different annealing process and no engraving) and a lower price. It was replaced or renamed (not sure which) the 575 Allegro horn. If you will, it seems to be a "poor man's" 62. It seems to fit somewhere in the higher end intermediate to low end pro level horn, depending on what you read.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
Yamaha claim the G1 gives you even more focus - and as that's what you're trying to get away from it seems like the wrong way to go. It's about £300 too.
I'd be more inclined to think about mouthpiece choices - you can completely change the response of the horn for the third of the price of a G1.
Have a look at the Rousseau range, they work particularly well on Yamahas.

Regards,

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ill have to check out the Rousseau mouthpieces. The C* I am using is one I have had for 30+ years and was reworked by Bob Ackerman when I was in high school and is pretty much my "go to" and "do everything" mouthpiece. The Yamaha seems to be the only horn that it has a more focused sound with. Everything else I use it with produces a nice big sound...it does a fantastic job on my Buffet/Keilwerth. Of course if anything happened to that mouthpiece I would be rather saddened, as Mr. Ackerman is not doing refacing anymore.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
If I remember correctly, the Allegro line was discontinued when the 475's were introduced.
They were/are nice playing horns. I didn't like the clarinets, but the saxophones and trumpets give you a pretty big bang for your buck, so to speak...
Thanks, I remember them now.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Thanks, I remember them now.
Either neck is a great improvement. I used the G1 neck on an older model 62 and it really opened up the sound. I'm using the V1 neck on an 82Z at present. A less expensive way to go is to try a slightly more open mouthpiece - Meyer 6 or Selmer C** or D.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Just to throw in another thought, you might look at a "Christopher Elliott" neck. I just got a used one from my tech to try out on my 1938 Selmer BA alto, and I am quite stunned at how good it is. I can huff out the most gentle B and Bb with greater ease than the stock neck. I paid $40 bucks for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been keeping an eye on the Christopher Elliot products and have been contemplating one of their sopranos. I have also seen some of their newer necks that look pretty good. I have talked with them on the phone before and was really pleased to see their support of Praise Band players. Ill have to call them and see what they have in store.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts