Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Buescher had a thick square looking, textured G# key that made going up to it from a low C# no problem. My Martin has a smooth, rounded G# key that my pinky wants to slide right off. This makes going up from a low C# impossible. Is it like this because it's an second-line Indiana? It's annoying.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,016 Posts
CountSpatula said:
If your playing a G# right after a low C# just hold the C# key down as if it was a G# key.
That only works on "newer" horns. Older horns don't have this as an option.

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CountSpatula said:
If your playing a G# right after a low C# just hold the C# key down as if it was a G# key.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean but my pinky keeps wanting to slip off...

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Finger a G# except don't use the G# key with your pinky, hit the C# pinky key. Saves the trouble of sliding.

Frillz Carl? I thought it worked on mine...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,927 Posts
CountSpatula said:
Finger a G# except don't use the G# key with your pinky, hit the C# pinky key. Saves the trouble of sliding.

Frillz Carl? I thought it worked on mine...
AS Carl mentioned, the option of an articulated G#, was not present on many earlier horns. Some horns, such as the SML Gold Medal, have a lever that lets you select whether to engage it or not.

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CountSpatula said:
Guess I learned something today :) I think/thought my Buescher lets me... Ah well.

sorry coolsax :(
np count... my Buescher let me too... but my Martin, made five years later, will not, apparently.

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dr G said:
AS Carl mentioned, the option of an articulated G#, was not present on many earlier horns. Some horns, such as the SML Gold Medal, have a lever that lets you select whether to engage it or not.
Forgive me, but what is the advantage of disengaging it?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
It can be added to SOME horns. The G# lever needs to have a tang added that sticks under the C# lever. When the C# is pressed, it also presses the G#. All modern horns work this way. I thought the Indianas had this.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Great Bloke.
2,968 Posts
Later Martins have the articulated G#. Older Conns don't. I have never found it an issue once you have learnt to move the LH Pinky quickly. If the LH spatula keys aren't set correctly then it becomes a pain.

The secret to developing Pinky strength is curls with a 5kg weight. You end up with Biceps on your Pinky!

·
Registered
73 Posts
My 64xxx Martin Handcraft soprano does not have articulated LH pinky keys and does have the "smooth, rounded" G# key. What model/year of Martin do you have? Going from C# to G# doesn't seem to be that much of a problem on the sop, but maybe it is on an alto or tenor. I would think it's something your pinky will get used to.

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
David Beane said:
My 64xxx Martin Handcraft soprano does not have articulated LH pinky keys and does have the "smooth, rounded" G# key. What model/year of Martin do you have? Going from C# to G# doesn't seem to be that much of a problem on the sop, but maybe it is on an alto or tenor. I would think it's something your pinky will get used to.
55' Indiana alto - I am playing it so I will see over time how I get accustomed to it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts