Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just purchased a new tenor and the things wails, but the G,G#,A with octave key pressed have a problem where they are stuffy or drop an octave. I've had the tenor a few days and every other note I've tested chromatically and done long tones for a few hours and it only happens with said notes.

It doesn't happen every time, it seems to be just a coming and going thing.

I've tried eyeballing it and seeing if it's a major pad leak but I don't see anything obvious. I've checked the octave mechanism around the upper palm keys and the octave mechanism on the neck(although its not really straightly aligned it appears to be seating okay) and they both move and don't stick.

So what could be the problem here ?

This being said, I think personally it might be the mouthpiece I'm using. I'm waiting on a berg to come in and this is a standard no name black mouthpiece that came with the tenor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Saxophone. Com IS the brand. They've been around a while and there are reviews by site members. I fixed the issue, the neck was not tight enough.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,690 Posts
No, I mean what brand is it, not where did you get it.
Dont you love seeing instruments come in the door for repair that are named after a website,

It would be like owning a car which is brand named car.com, not chev / mazda / ford. Ohh and the professional version of course :bluewink:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dont you love seeing instruments come in the door for repair that are named after a website,

It would be like owning a car which is brand named car.com, not chev / mazda / ford. Ohh and the professional version of course :bluewink:
Dont beat on it till you have played or AT LEAST listened/read a review on these saxes.

There are many reviews by members on here and videos on youtube of the brand and these saxes are top quality for the price.

Garret ( the owner ) is a member here on SOTW and if you doubt it just check them out for yourself. I love hearing the repair guys talk about certain brands with nothing to back it up.
I may not have a high post count here but I've been playing for 12 years and this horn has helped me in achieving the sound I've been striving for.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
"Dont beat on it till you have played or AT LEAST listened/read a review on these saxes.

There are many reviews by members on here and videos on youtube of the brand and these saxes are top quality for the price."

It may be true, some day, for some cheap brand, but I've such things said, especially in forums, so many times, for so many brands, and when I eventually get to check such brands over with discerning eyes I find that at least from a repair technician's perspective - aiming for good function and reliability - it is simply not true. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Perhaps this brand is one of the first exceptions to the rule. The jury is out until astute technicians work on it and agree about its quality, and state the whole truth, without fear of litigation!

Note that many technicians claim not to have encountered a long string of deficiencies in Selmer's recent saxes, especially SIII. So even the eyes of techs vary widely.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,690 Posts
Mate, dont get uppity theres no need for it. Im not attacking the brand, Im just commenting on the stupidity of distributors to name there sax after a website, that is ludricous to probably the most stupid thing a retailer or distributor can do..It implies cheapness

I want to buy a car would you buy a car called car.com as a brand name
I want to buy a clarinet would you buy a clarinet with the brand name clarinet.com
I want to get a new tyre for my car how about the brand tyre.com
Ohh I need a new mobile phone how about a mobilephone.com brand unit
Or I need a new set of undies, Ill go and buy the ones at walmart that are branded underpants.com

I hope you get my point..

As far as how great they play, no idea... A good player can make the crappiest cheapest piece of plastic rubbish instrument sound magnificent. The true test for any instrument is whether or not a student learning to play the thing can play it easily.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
Sounds like it could be a problem with the diameters and placing of the 8ve vents - the lower one is probably too small in diameter and the upper one could be placed a little bit too far down the crook or the wrong diameter.

When I changed to a Yamaha 875EX alto I found the upper G# had the tendency to drop the 8ve if I didn't play it a certain way - I didn't have this trouble with the 62s I had previously, so it took a bit of getting used to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mate, dont get uppity theres no need for it. Im not attacking the brand, Im just commenting on the stupidity of distributors to name there sax after a website, that is ludricous to probably the most stupid thing a retailer or distributor can do..It implies cheapness

I want to buy a car would you buy a car called car.com as a brand name
I want to buy a clarinet would you buy a clarinet with the brand name clarinet.com
I want to get a new tyre for my car how about the brand tyre.com
Ohh I need a new mobile phone how about a mobilephone.com brand unit
Or I need a new set of undies, Ill go and buy the ones at walmart that are branded underpants.com

I hope you get my point..

As far as how great they play, no idea... A good player can make the crappiest cheapest piece of plastic rubbish instrument sound magnificent. The true test for any instrument is whether or not a student learning to play the thing can play it easily.

No offense really taken, I'd recommend this horn as a great backup horn really, it feels solid as a rock. I've been through a few horns over the past few years and I'm exceptionally satisfied with this purchase. That probably has something to do with the price/quality balance on this horn.

It's a free blowning accurate tuned horn, as far as the build quality goes concerning the metals and key configuration everything seems tight and solid so far for me(years of playing will determine that). The key action is very quick and sensitive which is very good for me because of my use of altissimo and the altissimo register just sings.

I agree on your comment about how easily is it for a beginner to learn on a instrument being the true test simply because I had a hooptie when I first started playing (bundy..yikes) and when I got my Yamaha it was a difference between night and day in terms of playability/tuning/tone control.

I've been through a few vintage selmer horns (couple of MK VII) the keywork is very similar. The sound on this tenor is sweeter than any other I've owned, I would imagine because it is bare brass bodied with no lacquer.This being a text based conversation I didn't exactly know where you were coming from with your post but I honestly would play this tenor and not be ashamed of the logo on the bell because of the sound and feel of this tenor. I am very pleased with the purchase.

As far as the brand name goes, I was so skeptical at first until I read the reviews and video reviews of the quality of the horns. I honestly wanted to see if I could get a tenor without the logo name on it before purchase but I went ahead and ordered because it was the last they had in stock. I'd dare anyone to try this brand simply because of my positive experience with it, I'll probably be posting some video reviews of the horn myself and sound clips for people that are looking at this particular brand as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like it could be a problem with the diameters and placing of the 8ve vents - the lower one is probably too small in diameter and the upper one could be placed a little bit too far down the crook or the wrong diameter.

When I changed to a Yamaha 875EX alto I found the upper G# had the tendency to drop the 8ve if I didn't play it a certain way - I didn't have this trouble with the 62s I had previously, so it took a bit of getting used to.

I've fixed my issue with tightening my neck, I was honestly used to never tightening it all the way and on this horn it doesn't like that very much. I simply tightened it until it was snug the problem disappeared.

·
17,204 Posts
...The true test for any instrument is whether or not a student learning to play the thing can play it easily.
Wise words.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Brian, I as I remember I think we resolved the issue as a sticking lower vent key pad. If you are still having any problems please contact me. As far as our brand name "Saxophone.com" is concerned we use this brand name for a couple of reasons. The first reason is that it propels us to the top of the Google search engine results. This allows us to sell at a lower price because we do not need to pay for advertising. And the second is that it are easy to find us if you need parts or service. We were one of the first companies to offer quality Houli Taiwan saxophones online. We could put a French sounding name like P. Mauriat (the dead composer, and not saxophone player, that wrote "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" and "Love is Blue") which probable makes people feel warm and fuzzy, but we do not. The Houli saxophones come from the same place (Houli, Taiwan) built with the same parts by different small assembly factories. We just offer saxophones built by the two best assembly factories in Houli at lower prices that we could freely advertise on the net. If we carried the other major brands that these two Houli factories build besides ours we would have to use their pricing structures, but in the end you would still receive the same saxophone as ours with a different stamp on the bell. All the best! --Garrett

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
I've fixed my issue with tightening my neck, I was honestly used to never tightening it all the way and on this horn it doesn't like that very much. I simply tightened it until it was snug the problem disappeared.
Maybe you need the tenon expanded slightly so it fits correctly. You shouldn't have to tighten the socket screw to make it play as the tenon should be a good and wobble-free fit in the socket before the screw is tightened. The screw only locks the crook in position and isn't there to create an airtight seal.

·
17,204 Posts
"...You shouldn't have to tighten the socket screw to make it play as the tenon should be a good and wobble-free fit in the socket before the screw is tightened...."

Indeed, the same sort of leak-proof fit that you get with a well-fitted flute tenon. The clamp has nothing really to do with the sealing. It just stops the neck turning, which is not a problem for flutes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts