Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. It didn't look like a sticky key pad problem. An hour into practice my G# hole cap remains open though the G# key has not been pressed. When I pressed the G# key, the cap moved a little and it didn't sound like G#. After cleaning and drying it, it went back to normal - the hole cap remains closed till I pressed the G# key.
What has happened to my instrument. Please advise. Thks.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
One of the low keys (I think it's "C") will cause the key to open. Check to see that that low key is working properly and not causing the G# key to open.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I am not an expert. Two obvious candidates:

1). You have a spring that is messed up (not engaged or too weak)
2). You have dirty/rusty rods/mechanisms which are preventing proper rotation (opening and closure) of the keys when depressed and released. (Cleaning or oil would help)

Or a combination of the two.

......you could also have some bent keywork somewhere.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I had the same thing happen, on my King Cleveland tenor, a few weeks ago, after having wiped down my horn the night before. I couldn't see anything obvious, but I thought I must've snagged the cloth on a spring, or something. My tech took a look at it, and fiddled around with it for about a minute and handed it back to me, stating "the key was bent." I no longer wipe down my horns, in between the rods. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
- The G# "touch" on modern instruments has two "tabs" that extend from the bottom. This creates what is called an "articulated G#" whereby pressing the low B or low C# key touch contacts these "tabs" so the G# key will also open if none of the keys on the right hand stack are closed.

- What happens sometimes is the low B or low Bb key cups are prevented from opening fully usually because the key guard has been bent down. This in turn presses the tab on the G# touch opening the G# pad when you don't want it to.

- What you need to check is to make sure there is a bit of "lost motion" on both the low C# touch, and the low B touch before it contacts the tab on the G# touch. If there is not, one or both of the bell keys needs to be raised either by straightening the bent keyguard or by backing out the adjustable bumper. A less likely scenario is that the problem is the low C# touch is too low. This is a more complicated issue and should be dealt with by a professional tech. Removing the felt on the tab that the low C# touch presses might buy you some time before you have to take it in.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Thanks for the explanation, Sax. I hate when my tech fixes something I couldn't find, in less than a minute, and I never find out what it was. I could ask, but I hate to take up any more of the guy's time when he was nice enough to stop what he was doing, to take care of me.......at no charge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts