Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 200
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would any of you lovely techs mind advising me if it is possible for me to replace the spring that you see in the pics - with one of th springs you see in the pics .?

Or could I temporarily fix it until I can take it to me old mate Simso ( see you in a couple of weeks ) . Could I use an elastic band to strengthen the spring somehow .
Thanks for any help

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
While the length of the spring is important, the diameter is as much, if not more important. You need to measure the old spring and the new(used) and see if any are the same diameter before you can tell if they will work. Since the spring on your G# is not broken, I would adjust the tension on that key spring and possibly the spring that opens the G# to lighten it up if possible. I would then take the horn to Simso when you head back to Australia and have him look it over. Probably a few minute job for him whereas it is a possible disaster for you if the spring breaks as you work on it and the repacements don't fit. This would put the horn out of commission for a while. Also judging from the dirt and rust on the spring, a disassembly and cleaning could fix your problem as well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,690 Posts
Welcome back to aussie land mate. Its bloody hot here at the moment, mid 30's during the day and over 20 during the night, high humididty as well (horrible sticky uncomfortable weather).

As matt's said.. just bend the spring for the time being ""gently"", Ill sort it out later for you

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 200
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well we have horrible grey wet weather most of the time , hope I can bring some cooler stuff for you . Managed to strengthen the spring with an elastic band . See you very soon steve , cheers

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
With G#, there are a heap of friction issues at play as well. I would address those first. The spring may not be the problem.

Most G# lever springs are working pretty close to their limit, and many are rather more brittle than they should be. So any attempt to re-tension it risks snapping it. So best left for a technician, who can deal with such eventualities.

In the mean time, you cannot go far wrong with rubber band band-aiding. But with a silver plated surface, don't leave it on too long or it will wreck the plating.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts