Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm having a problem with a Yamaha YAS-23 sax that we just bought. There's a valve in the middle of the sax that stays closed and then lifts when the G#/Ab pinkie key is pressed. Problem is that it doesn't lift. It's not sticking, it just won't lift. I've searched everywhere on the instrument looking for a missing or broken spring, but I don't see anything missing. There appears to be only one spring attached to that valve, and it looks like it's designed to keep the valve closed after it opens (unless it's not functioning correctly). Thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,506 Posts
colobar: Welcome to SOTW. Obviously that pad-cup should immediately lift when you press the G# touch. It is lifted mechanically and returned by a spring. I'm guessing something has been disconnected. Give it another inspection and try to determine what pieces work together to lift that pad. If you can't find it, or can't fix it, take it to a repair-tech. Good luck with it. DAVE

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
Hi,

I'm having a problem with a Yamaha YAS-23 sax that we just bought. There's a valve in the middle of the sax that stays closed and then lifts when the G#/Ab pinkie key is pressed. Problem is that it doesn't lift. It's not sticking, it just won't lift. I've searched everywhere on the instrument looking for a missing or broken spring, but I don't see anything missing. There appears to be only one spring attached to that valve, and it looks like it's designed to keep the valve closed after it opens (unless it's not functioning correctly). Thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help.
There are two springs involved. Look at the hinge rod the G# key pivots on. You'll see an arm that comes off of it which is held down by another arm that lifts up when you push on the G#. The G# touch piece has it's own spring underneath the hinge rod it pivots on which makes it want to push down on the G# cup's arm.

The hinge rod that the G# cup pivots on has a needle spring underneath it which, when the spring is engaged, makes the cup spring open when the arm off the G# touch assembly (or the hold down from the lower stack) isn't holding it shut.

This spring is either broken (possible, but sort of rare) or has simply managed to come off the little pip on the bottom of the hinge rod so that it's no longer doing its job- not all that rare. Find the spring waggling away in lonely uselessness, re-engage its tip on the spring cradle (the little pip on the rod), and all should be well.

Picture of the assembly: http://www.doctorsax.biz/musical instruments/saxophones/yamaha/yas23_260072A/pict11.JPG

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,358 Posts
As mentioned, the spring is probably on the wrong side of the hook. It should be on the left side of the horn pushing the key to the right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of the help. I brought it into the music shop and the tech said the spring was in backwards and pushing the wrong way. It took him about 15 seconds to fix it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts