204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be good?

I have narrowed my choices down to -
1) JJ classic
2) Dukoff D or M
3) Guardala lazer MB-II (edited)
4) Otto link STM

Please share your experiences with these mouthpieces. Do suggest other mouthpieces too. Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
What would be good?

I have narrowed my choices down to -
1) JJ classic
2) Dukoff D or M
3) Guardala Brecker model
4) Otto link STM

Please share your experiences with these mouthpieces. Do suggest other mouthpieces too. Thanks.
I've had no luck with JJ Classics and don't like the feel of the Dukoff Silverite stuff......unless you're talking a Lazer-trimmed MB II, the Brecker is going to cost you a bundle. Links can be used for those styles, but not all that often, unless you're willing to experiment with baffles, which is not that hard to do, BTW. All of the Lazer-trimmed Guardalas are reasonably priced and may fit the bill. Bergs can do it if you find the right one and the Ponzol pieces, especially the new SS models, are getting great reviews here on SOTW.........happy hunting............Daryl

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,332 Posts
Dont rule out Ponzol pieces either :D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,150 Posts
Although I prefer the Otto Links for general jazz playing, for brighter stuff I would either want a really bright Link or the Dukoff or Guardala.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh wersax, my bad for stating wrongly. i meant the MB-II.

Anyway the ponzol and sr tech seem a little expensive for me. I currently dont have my own tenor so i have to find one that i can loan which would be quite difficult in Singapore. So i might not spend too much on a mouthpiece. My budget - $100-200 USD. Thanks for all the good suggestions. I still might consider them.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Based on what you've narrowed it down to, I would think the Dukoff or the Guardala would be your best choices.
How did you narrow it down?? by playing all these pieces?

I use a Dukoff for contemporary jazz and funk on both alto and tenor. I also have a pair of Saxscape Downtowns that also work great for this stuff, but I struggle doubling alto and tenor using the Saxscape pieces, so I pretty much use the Dukoffs exclusively now.
I prefer Dukoff M's over D's.. I've had both, and I now play M's only. I think they play a little fatter than the D's, especially in the upper register, and there is just a little more body and core to the tone.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I use a Link STM for my jazz playing but wanted more for when I play with blues or funk bands, with amplified instruments. I picked up a LT Guardala King in trade and have been happy with it. I was a little uncertain about that high of a baffle but it doesn't get thin or shrill, though I would not go for the super king. I have not played any other Guardala mouthpieces but this one works for me.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
It's got nothing to do with Mouthpiece. Think Funky when you play. You'll sound the same no matter what you play......practice....hear the sound in your head.....it will come out

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well sopranosaxman i think i rather get something that is consistent. I cant have a trial because i dont have my own tenor yet. So no point. Even if i loan, i dont have time to get used to the mouthpiece.

Has anyone played JJ classics? havent seen anything about them here. Thanks for all the replies guys.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.