Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
Me and 2 other friends are preparing for a gig at a café this summer with some jazz standards.
When searching for chords and sheet music (guitar, clarinet/tenor sax), I often come across these kind of videos uploaded by two guys on youtube. They have uploaded an awful lot of sheet music with really good backing tracks and chords. I'll leave some links just because I think it's a great resource. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSru7eaJ0NQFLzbF1fht6rA https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-4Ug_ZF21ZxQ_gESN9FadQ
However, something does tell me that the transposition isn't right. For example, if the Bb part is in E minor, the first chord (that is supposed to be played by an instrument in C?!) is in fact in E minor as well. I'll post a picture of the example to make it even more clear.
View attachment 202154

Maybe I'm just being silly. After all, I haven't really read about transposition that much.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,877 Posts
This part is for Bb instruments, therefore is transposed up a whole tone from concert pitch.

A transposed part for Bb instrument would mean concert D minor is shown as E minor. So the key signature is correct for Em, and if the first chord is D minor (concert pitch) then that is also shown correctly as E monor for Bb instruments.

That's how transposition works.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I think I understand that part.
What you mean is that also, the chords are transposed, and therefore NOT shown in concert pitch (but a whole step above that)?
So that would mean I'd have to transpose the chords down a whole step before my friend can play them on his guitar?
Also, I dig your website a lot, Pete!

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,877 Posts
Yes, I think I understand that part.
What you mean is that also, the chords are transposed, and therefore NOT shown in concert pitch (but a whole step above that)?
So that would mean I'd have to transpose the chords down a whole step before my friend can play them on his guitar?
Also, I dig your website a lot, Pete!
Yes, if the chords are on the Bb part they are chords transposed for Bb instruments. The guitar would have their own part in concert pitch, but if that is not available, you can make on by transposing the Bb part back down a whole tone, so e minor becomes D minor etc.

Glad you like the site

1 - 4 of 4 Posts