Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a discovery that traditional Ricos don't produce many good reeds right out of the box, but they're cheap and adjustable. Anybody else feel no shame in saying they play these reeds?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,156 Posts
I don't worry about what others may think of my setup choices any more, so no, I don't feel any shame that I occasionally use "orange box" Ricos and sometimes Ricos from the old brown "wood-grain" cardboard boxes. I buy dealer max pack orange box Ricos on eBay with 50 in a box individually encased in plastic holders for very reasonable prices. And they work quite well for my playing needs.

That said, I mostly use Fibracells these days, but occasionally go back to Ricos because I have them and they work, just not as long as the Fibracells.

Rob

·
Registered
290 Posts
These are my reed of choice on bari... As long as they are old... The new ones are worthless (mushy, non vibrating cane), and I gave up on them a few years ago. Fortunately I have a decent stockpile of old stock to hold me.

Honestly, there is nothing "wrong" with regular Ricos at all. The ones that are good last longer for me than other "premium" reeds, and they are cheap enough that I don't feel bad tossing the bad ones out.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree, and if you adjust them and they don't work it's no big deal. I just love getting a bargain and not feeling like I gave away an arm to buy reeds.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Well, I recently found a few orange box Ricos lying somewhere in my storage, and tried them out.

I found that the sound was actually pretty decent - not as good as my Hemke or RJS reeds, but still, I wouldn't mind playing one if the need arises.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts