Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've spent time transcribing Roger Lewis' solos (Dirty Dozen Brass Band) and also some of Maceo's solos... What works for me is lots of work on staccato and octave jumps...

·
Registered
648 Posts
Take a listen to the La Fanfare du Belgistan. Lots of focus on the bari sax.

·
Registered
328 Posts
How about Steve Berlin's work with Los Lobos? One of those must be funky/groovy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some great suggestions, thank you.

How about any suggestions for baritone sax solos on groove tunes with "modern" jazz language? : )

·
Registered
648 Posts
For that, I suggest taking a listen to the album Speak Low by Lucia Cadotsch.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,007 Posts
What about Ronnie Cuber, grooving away with Steve Gadd on "Way Back Home" ? Solo starts at about 3:30" into this video.

There are several other recordings of this tune by this band but this one probably has my favourite baritone solo.

Rhys

PS Will you share any solos you transcribe ?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I agree! Earl Seymour was amazing!
Do you know of Earl? Such an amazing player. Sadly died way too young. I got to meet him and hang on a couple occasions. He was such a cool guy. I love his tenor tone too.

(p.s. I used to take lessons with Vern, the alto player in the clip)

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
1,899 Posts
I was unaware of Earl Seymour before you posted the BS&T video. Thanks for that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all this, much appreciated!

PS Will you share any solos you transcribe ?
If I end up writing them out, yes, but I normally commit them to memory.

For that, I suggest taking a listen to the album Speak Low by Lucia Cadotsch.

Oddly enough I had already listened to this album and whilst I really enjoyed it, it is tenor playing (and I wouldn't think of it as particularly funky/groovy)

·
Registered
648 Posts
Yes I know it's tenor playing, but what tenor playes, the bari can certainly play too. Yeah I understand, not exactly the vibe you were looking for.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts