Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello reader!

My main genre of choice to play is funk, and I don't think my mouthpiece can do the job for the style I am interested in. I currently play a Jody Jazz HR, and I am looking for a different mouthpiece with completely different characteristics. I am in search of a metal mouthpiece that provides a full, rich tone, a baffle, and has a bright (but not too bright) sound. I have been eyeing the both the Beechler Bellite and ARB for a while now, and I am not so sure what I should choose. If anyone has experience with those two pieces and/or has a recommendation for a mouthpiece, please feel free leave a reply below.

Thanks for your time!

-Nick

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,622 Posts
all my stuff is recorded using a Vandoran Jumbo Java A45 and plasticover 2.5s or Rico 2M reeds. Ksaxman.com What I like about the JJ is that its a fat spread tone unlike the smaller later type I got from the Durga/JJ DV and I even had a Dukoff modified to play like Sunburns. This JJ off the shelf beat them all for me. Check out all the sonoma soul stuff on my webpage. ITs an easy to play piece also with the high baffle. Ksaxman.com

·
Registered
762 Posts
I also +1 the Jumbo java A45 and plasticover 2.5 reed combo. Sometimes I use Lavoz reeds too. Great sound.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Metalite M7 with Rigotti Gold, RSJ or Plasticover reeds.

Not a metal mpc of course but so what? Who can tell the material from the sound anyway? But if you want metal, get a vintage SS Scoopbill offset Berg with the drop baffle. That will funkify your sound for sure and still sound rich and not too bright.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Joe Henderson played funk real good with a Selmer Soloist D.

Listen.

Edit... I just noticed this thread is in "alto mouthpieces". Sorry about that. Who plays funk on an alto?

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Candy Dulfer, Maceo Parker, to just name two.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,169 Posts
Self promotion warning

Check out my Rift at www.phil-tone.com

It's designed to be bright and powerful but not cold and brittle. It can play fink but you can pull back and use it for other styles

Thanks
Phil
I have to agree with Phil on this one. I can get pretty funky on the Rift! It's got just enough high end and power to cut but has a big fat tone also........

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Check out what David Strong does with a Meyer 7M.......

If you're interested, his member name is StrongD.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Actually with a synthetic reed or a plasticover I bet a Super Session would do quite well for funk. My main alto piece is a SS D so I think tomorrow I'll try it out and see how that works.

And it just so happens that I own a Meyer metal 6J mouthpiece which would more than likely fit your needs. It's advertised in the Marketplace here so p.m. me if you are interested.

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...o-Metal-Mouthpiece&highlight=meyer+metal+alto

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,545 Posts
You mentioned ARB. I used one for funk back in the day and it worked great: loud and bright but not thin sounding.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Seems like people these days are using metal pieces for funk....
I'd say Beechler rules the funk world. Give the beechlers a shot, whether the rubber Diamond pieces or the metal Bellite ones, you won't be disappointed

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
IMO the 2 best pieces I have found for funk are the RIFT HR from Phil and the Beechler Bellite if you look for metal.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Candy Dulfer, Maceo Parker, to just name two.
Since we bring Candy into this, I suppose maybe check out the Lebayle Studio II. Believe that's what she's grooving on now. Though she doesn't have anything new. I played the original version and it really sings. It's a little tight blowing, and made quick improv grooving parker-style quite a challenge. But it's awesome for Maceo type singing. I only flirted with it, as my Link is perfect for all stlyes, and I like to play a bit of everything. But it's lovely if you're into that sort of thing.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,169 Posts
You ever hear Mark Russo on his Meyer? I was always surprised by how bright and cutting his sound was on that piece but I have to say I have also played a few over the years that I can get a similar sound on. I have a modern Meyer that JVW refaced that screams. Those are hard to find though but you can get a Rift easily enough..........

·
Registered
2 Posts
Beechler, ARB, Dukoff, Jody Jazz DV, Theo Wanne Durga... Metal + High Baffle would do it for me. But any moderately bright mouthpiece should do the trick.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts