Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short Version :

Do you have any fund raising ideas a school band could do?

---

Long Version :

Our band is short on funds (I'm in So-cal and with the new education cuts, money is short everywhere, especially with the arts of course >.>) and the band teacher has literally formed a club to help with fund raising and money distribution.

Currently the predominant idea within the club is to separate the band (voluntarily of course) into quartets and have them perform in the streets for money, in which then the students get to keep half and the band gets the other half. Reading the thread about busking though, I feel that this idea might be more trouble than its worth, though I can't think of any better ideas.

Thats kinda why I was hoping that somebody here could give me some suggestions as to what else our band could do.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Things my school does:

1. We have a "donation only" car wash twice a year with a suggested donation of $5. We haven't had one person who's stiffed us. When people see that it's a donation, I'd say a quarter of the time we get even more.

2. Sometimes we sell things like See's Candy or Ozark Delight lolly pops. There's lots of companies that can help out with a fund raiser like that.

3. This isn't really a fund raiser, but in my band program, it is "strongly recommended" that everyone pays a $200 "fair share" donation each semester.

4. We have a raffle twice a year where each student is required to sell 20 $10 tickets to whomever they want and the winner gets a flat screen TV (a small one, but it's a flat screen :shock:)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
215 Posts
Do try the ideas listed above.
The ablolute best fund raiser I did while teaching was to sell Poinsettias between Thanksgiving and Christmas time. There are several growers nearby (San Jose).
At a boosters meeting a parent who owned a flower company offered FREE the Poinsettias. Perhaps you could get a grower to give you whosale prices. We pre-sold the flowers. Restaurants, banks, businesses all over town bought our flowers, they usually buy at that time of year anyway. Parents who worked at these places were our best contacts.
Flowers were delivered, two truckloads, to the band room and then distributed in a 3 day period just before our Christmas program. They were picked up before school or after school for those few days.
Most of the time our sales were 5 or 6 hundred plants!
Also you might arrange for a "band night" at a pumpkin patch or Christmas tree lot.
This works by giving coupons that can be used when buying and the owner agrees to give your band the profits.
Realize that the businesses that are donating these items can write them off. Get a band IRS account #
Good luck

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
our band just had the chili cook off and car show today
man im sunburnt:(

basically

people make chili
set up tents on the home side line

and all the teams get numbers
and have to pay to enter(hence making money)
then on teh visitor side line
people with like old or cool cars can pay to enter their own car into the car show

then at the end of the day, the judges give out trophys for 1st 2nd and 3rd for the car show and the chili, which the people who came to it vote on
and then the entrance fee also, which is like 5 dollars or somthing(band people get in for free)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
at the chili cook off there is also a bake sale where band people make baked goods and sell them to people at the car show.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
also during the year, we sell cheese cakes and nuts and christmas wreaths during christmas time.

sorry for the bad grammar and the bad spelling, i just got back from the chili cookoff and im tired and sunburnt

·
Registered
224 Posts
hard to explain, but my band has a playathon. this years was 17 hours long and each student gave 25 bucks and we had all the bands play, along with a carnival thing and lots of food. keep in mind this is planned all year for us.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Charge the kids a fee. I am sure your athletic dept. charges a fee to participate. Why shouldn't the band kids pay something? $25 a year? Something.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the Holt
1,477 Posts
We always just sold Chocolate bars--of course it was usually a disaster too!:shock:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,165 Posts
My middle school band (I'm the director) sold flower bulbs - huge success. Most importantly kids received 50% of sales which is rather high.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I try to ask my parents to simply make a donation to the group. Does CA. have the State tax donation towards schools? AZ does, and boy does it help out. This way both sides are benefitting from the donation. Families can give up to a certain amount to a school, then when it comes to tax time, they get the money back.
Often times when a school has findraisers parents just buy the stuff just because they want to support the school, but in the end only about 40% goes to the school the rest to a company.
I have bought plenty of instruments, concert pieces etc. with tax money donations.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Do try the ideas listed above.
The ablolute best fund raiser I did while teaching was to sell Poinsettias between Thanksgiving and Christmas time. There are several growers nearby (San Jose).
At a boosters meeting a parent who owned a flower company offered FREE the Poinsettias. Perhaps you could get a grower to give you whosale prices. We pre-sold the flowers. Restaurants, banks, businesses all over town bought our flowers, they usually buy at that time of year anyway. Parents who worked at these places were our best contacts.
Flowers were delivered, two truckloads, to the band room and then distributed in a 3 day period just before our Christmas program. They were picked up before school or after school for those few days.
Most of the time our sales were 5 or 6 hundred plants!
Also you might arrange for a "band night" at a pumpkin patch or Christmas tree lot.
This works by giving coupons that can be used when buying and the owner agrees to give your band the profits.
Realize that the businesses that are donating these items can write them off. Get a band IRS account #
Good luck
This is exactly what I do every year. Works great!

·
Registered
205 Posts
My high school band did fruit, and it brought it some pretty good money.

They also started hosting a marching band competition....which I think also made a good bit of money after the expenses.

A lot of high schools have a fee for band. Ours was $650 (though there were some fund raising options, i.e. selling more fruit....) and some of those schools that do the Bands of America marching competitions have fees up to $1400 a year...I'm sure no one would mind a small fee.

·
Registered
857 Posts
jazz band gigs.
I think this is a good one, if you guys are Ok get a local Church or other organization to sponcer something in their building. Charge 10 bucks a head. If you stick to dance tunes, as long as your rhythmn section can swing, you can keep soloing to a minimum? I bet you could get 200-300 people with proper space and advertising. 10 bucks isn't that much a person, meaning you could get groups of people to show. Just an idea.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,212 Posts
I have 2 things during the year that work EXTREMELY well - however My situation may be alittle different.

I do Recordings of the concerts - make an CD - and take orders at the concerts. (Have kids do all the grunt work). Go someplace like diskfaktory.com and choose how you want them made - how many - and upload all the content. If you want to be extremely legal - You should go through the trouble of securing the mechanical rights - all in all that should be less than $1 per cd for every song you would have on there. Total profit could be upwards of 7-10 per CD depending on how much you charge - and they look professional as well.

ALSO - My High School is a Catholic High School - and we get kids from about 13 feeder elementary schools (elem meaning k-8) So Every year I host a Jr. High Interparish Dance - last year there were over 350 middle school kids running around to the DJ - Invite some guest chaperones from the other schools - pay some of your own - all in all I always leave that night with a couple grand or more for the band.

just 2 cents - Good luck

·
Registered
769 Posts
Car Washes, ValuCards, selling Chocolates, etc. etc. are all good and dandy, and I know my old high school did well with them, but one of the key sources of income was the "script" program, where people would buy, at cost, what are essentially gift cards to different locations, but the school gets a cut. Walmart/Meijer being popular stores for it, since everyone shops there.

Beware of fundraising companies in general. A lot of their stuff you can find yourself to sell, at a much better price/percentage, if you're willing to do some of the organizing yourself.

Do you have a marching band? Sell advertising space on the banners for when you travel or do parades.

Get your Band Boosters in the concession stands at sporting events! My school's band got all of the income from our Football and Soccer games.

Do a "Jazz Club" night. Have general seating for $5, or special seating around round, nicely decorated, tables with desserts and such for $10-$20. Get some of the vocalists from the choir to help out, and consider sharing some of the funds with the choral dept.

I am HIGHLY opposed to requiring any sort of free from students to join band. There are other ways to bring in funds, and I think that recruitment is far more important than the potential loss of kids you can get by charging a fee. I'm seeing the numbers declining in arts and music programs all around my state, and it concerns me. Parents already are paying enough for their kid's instruments. I can see $25 or something, or specific fees for "Uniform cleaning" or that kind of stuff, but anything more than that I'm not a fan of.

My high school band, which received very little funding from the school, managed to send 200 of us every 4 years on a week-long trip down to Florida, at a cost of less than $1000 per kid. Make sure that you aren't fiscally over spending, and you can make it work. (what I see some schools spend money on...especially marching band related stuff, ASTOUNDS ME.)

·
Registered
205 Posts
I do Recordings of the concerts - make an CD - and take orders at the concerts. (Have kids do all the grunt work). Go someplace like diskfaktory.com and choose how you want them made - how many - and upload all the content. If you want to be extremely legal - You should go through the trouble of securing the mechanical rights - all in all that should be less than $1 per cd for every song you would have on there. Total profit could be upwards of 7-10 per CD depending on how much you charge - and they look professional as well.

Recordings of concerts are very good ideas, but getting the rights from publishers and composers to record and sell their music can be a real pain and very time consuming (though not as bad as getting the rights to arrange the music, I hear). You would need to have someone specifically responsible for that aspect, and I wouldn't allow a student to be held accountable for that. That last thing a struggling band needs is a fine or legal fiasco....

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,212 Posts
Recordings of concerts are very good ideas, but getting the rights from publishers and composers to record and sell their music can be a real pain and very time consuming (though not as bad as getting the rights to arrange the music, I hear). You would need to have someone specifically responsible for that aspect, and I wouldn't allow a student to be held accountable for that. That last thing a struggling band needs is a fine or legal fiasco....
I've done it before - if you are dealing with purchased Arrangements - its a little time consuming hunting down how each publishing company wants you to go about it - but once you know how - its fine. When making CD's of arrangements you purchase from a publishing company - they are the only ones you have to answer to if you get caught.

I feel anyfurther discussion on this topic warrents a new thread so we dont get too off the subject.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts