Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a fun and interesting (I think) question I've been thinking about. I'd say the standard choices available to almost everyone is green, red, black, and white. Anyone have a preference? And how strong do you feel about it?
Does one look "classy" or "sophisticated", more so than others?
Is there a color, that if a tech presented you your new overhauled horn, with 'Color X' bumpers, you'd be like, "Sorry man, fine work, but we gotta switch this color!"

And finally, to get real specific, is there a brand of felt that you feel performs the best, holds up the longest, etc., and because of that, you stick with your brand of felts, no matter what?

Thanks guys, let's see what we get! Me??? I think I'm digging that dark green. Kinda goes with everything.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Wghen I had my Pearl Silver Borg repadded with white Roos, my tech suggested red felts- They look great !!

Blowhard2

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
It's well known Coltrane used to carry duffel bags filled with felt and kept switching color until he quit heroine and discovered a spiritual side to himself. From this moment on, he was regularly heard muttering repeatedly, slowly rocking back and forth in the corner of his practice room:

John Coltrane said:
"If you want to shred, go RED"

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,273 Posts
Black - I like Black.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,153 Posts
I don't let this bother me. If I did, I would never stop changing the f*¢%ing bumpers. I am That Guy sometimes.

If I had my way, I would have black ones on lacquered/brass horns, white ones on silver/gold horns.

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
1,874 Posts
We don't need no stinkin' bumpers..... :)

Seriously, this thread made me look again at my S20 as it does not have bumpers like most saxes do. The only felt is on the front F and the upper C key. They are on the bottom of those keys to act as a silencer on the cup below it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
35,488 Posts
Do they all have to be the same color?

Purple, please, on my silver tenor. Failing that, it just doesn't matter.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,127 Posts
I just go with what I think looks best when I replace them on any of my saxes. It varies by finish...sometimes by brand also.

However, true bumper aficionados know that cork is where it's at :bluewink:.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
If I were refelting the keywork, then I'd probably go with the following:

Yamaha - purple (but would use cerise felt on Customs if I could get hold of it)
Selmer - green or black
Yanagisawa - white or red (they used to have the red logo so red felts match that)
Buffet - green
SML - red or green
Keilwerth - green
Vintage US (Conn/Buescher/Martin/King/Holton) - green or red, but purple looks good too.

Does anyone know where to get blue felts from? That would look good on a silver plated Selmer to match the blue paint on the cook key.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,273 Posts
Buy white ones and dye them blue!

If I were refelting the keywork, then I'd probably go with the following:

Yamaha - purple (but would use cerise felt on Customs if I could get hold of it)
Selmer - green or black
Yanagisawa - white or red (they used to have the red logo so red felts match that)
Buffet - green
SML - red or green
Keilwerth - green
Vintage US (Conn/Buescher/Martin/King/Holton) - green or red, but purple looks good too.

Does anyone know where to get blue felts from? That would look good on a silver plated Selmer to match the blue paint on the cook key.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Black. It hides dirt, hides scorch marks, looks good on all finishes... and I don't have to think so much.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
Buy white ones and dye them blue!
D'oh!

Where do you get black felt bumpers and disk.
I think they would look good on silver plate.
I used black felts on a silver MkVI alto which I repadded with Saxgourmet pads as well as coloured in the crook key logo with a black marker pen so it was nearly all black and silver - just the bronze and blued steel springs and crook cork were the only things that weren't silver or black on it.

I cut felt discs for the front F and LH2 fingerbutton from the same thick felt I used for the key felts - the thinner felt was the same cloth used for making tunics from, but you can get black ultrasuede. Black bell key felts can be ordered from most places as they're used on the limited edition Selmers - I think I probably got them from Windcraft.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,670 Posts
Purple looks very classy on silver horns. I'm almost out of 1/4" purple and haven't seen any around. Anybody have a source?

Mark

1 - 20 of 41 Posts