Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Just wondering if you hand any tips on getting a fuller altissimo sound. I am already using overtones and focusing on making a fuller, richer sound. Gear down bellow if that will help
2 medium rico select jazz
Jody jazz hr 7*
Yts 27t

Cheers,
Bigman

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
I don’t play that much of altissimo but this guy does, he has several video’s on this matter on his youtube channel.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,943 Posts
Open your throat and a bigger tip mouthpiece can make it also easier and fuller.
There is this mysterious thing called "voicing" which I believe may be a combination of what you do with your throat and the ability to hear the pitch and sound of the note in your mind. Both are important and both can be developed by appropriate long notes, tone exercises including (especially) overtones.

The gear seems to be appropriate but as mr peebee says a bigger tip may help. Some people would also recommend a harder reed but I would disagree in that although it may help initially, the chances are other areas may suffer.

Almost by definition, altissimo being overtones, they will be less "full" than lower notes, although I'm not totally clear what is meant by full. If it means a less bright (maybe fatter) sound, then doing tone and dynamic exercises will help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I mean by “full” is to not sound “thin” or “frail”, like there is not enough air support

·
Administrator
17,295 Posts
There is this mysterious thing called "voicing" which I believe may be a combination of what you do with your throat and the ability to hear the pitch and sound of the note in your mind. Both are important and both can be developed by appropriate long notes, tone exercises including (especially) overtones.

The gear seems to be appropriate but as mr peebee says a bigger tip may help. Some people would also recommend a harder reed but I would disagree in that although it may help initially, the chances are other areas may suffer.
Pete is of course right about those exercises (which I actually have never done, but I could always play altissimo notes without big issues from the first time I tried them). I only saw now that you use a 2 reed on a 7*, which is (for me!) a soft setup and requires a lot of control, especially for altissimo. A slightly harder reed could help. But I think it's really about control, you should also be able to get full altissimo notes with a softer setup.

I actually just posted a thread about some long gigs I had this weekend where I played a very soft reed (Rico Plasticover 1.5) on a 10* Link. I was surprised how full and controllable the altissimo sounded and posted a clip with a short life recorded solo playing a long (and strong) high G with that setup without issues.

Here is that thread, in case you want to check:
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...ome-long-gigs-on-a-Plasticover-1-5-tenor-reed!

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,943 Posts
What I mean by “full” is to not sound “thin” or “frail”, like there is not enough air support
Maybe you just answered your own question.

Air support. Breathing exercises, long notes, tone control exercises.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,798 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
Sadly, the only thing that seems to improve my altissimo is playing more of it. I use it for probably less than 1% of my actual playing, but find I need to devote 10% of my practice to it if I want it to be consistent and pleasing. Not counting the F# (I do not have an F# key) I use it for exactly 20 notes a night with my classic R&B group. I practice that mess (the altissimo bit) endlessly it seems. Otherwise it's anybody's guess what will come out...

The blues band I play in is a different story as there's no telling what I might play until I'm playing it (frequently I surprise myself) , but even then I try to limit my altissimo use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts