Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys,

PLEASE NOTE: GIG HAS BEEN FILLED

Some friends of mine are in need of a tenor player. They have been around for almost 30 years. This is a full-time gig, based out on NJ, but they travel extensively.

Here's the main deal: It's a ROCK gig. No jazz. There's not a lot of room for improv. Its a lot of soloing, but it requires NOTE for NOTE transcription of the solo.

If your interested, drop me an email at gilesdavis AT aol.com.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,223 Posts
It's interesting that everything is transcribed. Does the guitarist play the solos off the recordings as well? I'm just curious. I play tons of rock gigs and I've only has one time where someone wanted in a note for note transcription.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,374 Posts
Giles said:
Its a lot of soloing, bit it requires NOTE for NOTE transcription of the solo..
Why the H would you want to do that? Sorry, but I'm curious, too. I understand the concept of a "signature solo," but to do this on ALL solos on all your tunes?! Come on......

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Giles, did our friends in the tribute band get rid of the blondie?

If it's who I think it is guys, it's a tribute band, thus the fans want it like they've heard it on the record.

·
23,374 Posts
Bill Mecca said:
Giles, did our friends in the tribute band get rid of the blondie?

If it's who I think it is guys, it's a tribute band, thus the fans want it like they've heard it on the record.
Thanks Bill. That makes sense, actually. But count me out. I guess we all have our preferred way of playing. Mine is not to play the same exact thing every time. No worries......

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,266 Posts
Not for me but I would love to have a chance!

First, I live in Mexico.
Second, I hate to fly.
Third, I am an altoist.

But... I think it is wonderful to see that opportunities fly around the forum.

All the best,

JI

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I promise the "devil" pays substantially better than most jazz gigs. Are you playing 22 shows in July? Or is making a good living "selling out?"

I thought I'd pass along an opportunity here. I didn't expect to be flamed.

·
23,374 Posts
Hey Giles, I meant no offense at all, although re-reading my first response, it was a bit harsh. But I really was curious, that's all. And I realize the benefits of playing something that people want and will pay good money for. Thanks for posting this and hopefully someone will get the gig and appreciate it! I certainly wouldn't call it selling out or anything like that. I played in a "soul" band like this for a short time (but it didn't pay well) and I got very frustrated not being able to stretch out and improvise. Still, there is a time and place for everything. Cheers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
If I was older and out of school...

·
SOTW Administrator
26,247 Posts
If I was younger, or older, or had different abilities, or a different personality...

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Giles said:
I promise the "devil" pays substantially better than most jazz gigs. Are you playing 22 shows in July? Or is making a good living "selling out?"

I thought I'd pass along an opportunity here. I didn't expect to be flamed.
That wasn't how I meant it. I guess I forgot the ;). I was simply enquiring as to how much the gig paid. Do they keep you on salary? Is it just gig to gig? etc...

I got no problem with doing these kinds of gig. I have in the past and made a good living at it.

However, the only way I would consider it now is if it substantially paid better than my current jobs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts