Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 1975 Mark VI bari that I love, but plays extremely flat with my old large chamber buescher mouthpiece when pushed all the way in. I just got a rico metallite, which plays in tune out a ways on the cork, but I much prefer the sound and feel of the Buescher. Is there a mouthpiece with a small to medium chamber that will give me a fuller sound? I'm guessing something with a rollover baffle?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,486 Posts
I'd start with a Link before venturing into boutique territory. Used to play an STM on both a low Bb and a low A bari back in the day with my college jazz band. Not exactly a small or medium chamber, but will be smaller in comparison to the old Buescher piece.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree with Grumps, a Link would be a great piece to try first. I bought a Runyon Quantum, similar to a Brillhart Levelaire, nice piece. Then I found a Link STM, not quite as bright as the Runyon but great sound. I use the Link more. IMO...the Link plays easier than the Runyon. Also a Link won't hit you hard in the wallet.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your advice. I've tried several metal links on tenor and never liked the feel or response of them. If I can find a used one I'll try one. I don't have anywhere locally to try them out, so if I have to spend $250 to buy one new, I would rather spend extra and try something else. I had a metal bari berg that I liked but the narrow diameter of metal pieces are more fatiguing for me. Have

·
26,486 Posts
You could also try to find a used RPC for bari (as a new one might take some time to be made). Should it not work out, you can always flip it for the value paid. That or a hard rubber Link. I just don't think you need to go to a true small chambered piece. As you seem to favor the fuller sound of large chamber Buescher… but those are cavernous in comparison to pretty much anything out there these days; and why it might not be a good match for your VI.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the advice. I used have one of Erik's double chamber pieces that I loved, but am worried that would be too big too. I would like to try one of the new Morgans and and RPC eventually, but for now I ordered a V16 to get me by for the time being. Unfortunately uses bari pieces are scarce and still pretty expensive. Has anyone tried the new Morgan models?

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Thank you all for the advice. I used have one of Erik's double chamber pieces that I loved, but am worried that would be too big too. I would like to try one of the new Morgans and and RPC eventually, but for now I ordered a V16 to get me by for the time being. Unfortunately uses bari pieces are scarce and still pretty expensive. Has anyone tried the new Morgan models?
Meyer or Vandoren hard rubber. I think the Vandoren hard rubber are available with different chamber sizes. Meyer supposedly are, but I've never seen anything but "medium" for sale either at a retailer or privately. Otto Link hard rubber. And of course you could always use the mouthpiece designed for the horn: Selmer! Soloist or S-80.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I know this won't go over very well, but ... a ways back I was going through my mouthpieces looking for one could be friendly with a particular (G) reed, and decided to order a Runyon 88 from weinermusic - and now that's what I play all the time. So I went from an RPC to a "student" mouthpiece. Really just a very traditional middle of the road design - medium chamber, bit of a baffle, no hand tweaking. Super easy to play, nice full sound. Not distinctly classical, I guess, like a Selmer classic, but certainly full.

And cheaper than buying a used mouthpiece that someone else didn't like, especially considering that some of the more expensive popular mouthpieces can be barely playable out of the box - it's all a matter of when you happen to tune in and who's complaining about it, but I have the impression Otto Link shows up in that category.

·
26,486 Posts
I know this won't go over very well, but ...
Hey, if you dig a Runyon over an RPC, no one's gonna give you a hard time over it. Mouthpiece choice is a personal thing. Folks like to give their recommendations based on their experiences to help others with similar concerns. So I have to ask, are you talking about baritone saxophone mouthpieces? Do you play, or have you played, a VI bari?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,583 Posts
Meyer or Vandoren hard rubber. I think the Vandoren hard rubber are available with different chamber sizes. Meyer supposedly are, but I've never seen anything but "medium" for sale either at a retailer or privately. Otto Link hard rubber. And of course you could always use the mouthpiece designed for the horn: Selmer! Soloist or S-80.
I hesitate to assume that a supplied mouthpiece was actually designed for a particular horn. It would be interesting to know whether there exists such specificity in the realm of supplied mouthpieces. I'm betting it was designed as merely a good mouthpiece for a particular size horn. I wonder if there were nuances of the Selmer core sound that were teased out to complement the pairing of Selmer mouthpiece/Selmer instrument that make the Selmer mouthpiece less a fit for any another brand with different sonic signature.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I recently bought a 1975 Mark VI bari that I love, but plays extremely flat with my old large chamber buescher mouthpiece when pushed all the way in. I just got a rico metallite, which plays in tune out a ways on the cork, but I much prefer the sound and feel of the Buescher. Is there a mouthpiece with a small to medium chamber that will give me a fuller sound? I'm guessing something with a rollover baffle?

First congrats for that sax! I have a 1976 Mark VI and I couldn’t be happier. I agree with the idea of trying a Link. I also bought a new STM, but I have since switched back to my Florida era slant TE, which plays just fantastically. The point here is, however, these mp’s have no problems with tuning. There’s plenty of cork left to play with. So, in my small experience, you will not have tuning problems with the Links. For instance my Mayer HR (and Selmer S80 as well) goes much deeper to the cork.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
So I have to ask, are you talking about baritone saxophone mouthpieces? Do you play, or have you played, a VI bari?
I am indeed talking about baritone saxophone mouthpieces. I am not sure I've ever even seen a VI bari, but I'm sure they're nice.

[edit] ... and to be clear, or maybe just correct a false impression of clarity, I don't absolutely prefer the Runyon 88 over the RPC - in general the RPC presents a larger range of possibilities, and is more demanding - for me anyway, I have to practice more to make it sound good. In particular, though, the 88 just happens to suit this reed. And it's naturally a more full sound, where the RPC takes a lot of care to keep it mellow.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,050 Posts
I have a new Morgan Indiana, it’s very nice. A vandoren, either a B75 or B7, is a good choice for off the shelf.
Lamberson or the new Klum bari mouthpiece is a higher price option in the vein of the vandoren V16’s.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,952 Posts
I think what we're getting at here is that you should try pretty much anything with a smaller chamber than your Buescher, which probably has a larger chamber than anything on the market today.* I've never played a VI bari for more than 30 minutes, but my impressions the few times I got to play them (different ones each time) were that they didn't have any broad intonation tendencies (like needing to pull out or push in a weird amount) that were different from the Yamaha bari I was playing at the time.

That would have been with a Metalite M9, for what it's worth. I suspect it's not worth much, though, not because the Metalite categorically won't work for you, but because I suspect almost any decent mouthpiece except the one you've got will tune fine. I don't know if the baris are different, but my experience with Selmer tenors and altos is that they aren't dependent on a particular mouthpiece chamber size to play reasonably well in tune.

Maybe that's not a helpful recommendation when you're trying to pick a mouthpiece, but, on the bright side, the world is your oyster!

* Now someone is going to chime in with a modern bari mouthpiece whose chamber is as large as a vintage Buescher, but I think my point still stands.

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
I hesitate to assume that a supplied mouthpiece was actually designed for a particular horn. It would be interesting to know whether there exists such specificity in the realm of supplied mouthpieces. I'm betting it was designed as merely a good mouthpiece for a particular size horn. I wonder if there were nuances of the Selmer core sound that were teased out to complement the pairing of Selmer mouthpiece/Selmer instrument that make the Selmer mouthpiece less a fit for any another brand with different sonic signature.
Well, I don't have any way of knowing to what extent Selmer considered the Selmer saxophone in designing the Selmer saxophone mouthpiece, but since they did have design authority on both (I have never read any indication that Selmer mouthpieces were re-labeled "something elses" as for example the Martin or King-labeled ones), it seemed logical that a Selmer mouthpiece of the type that was supplied with each Selmer saxophone, would probably be a pretty good match for it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You might love the V16 like I love mine.
I do love the V16. It's powerful, easy to blow, and sounds awesome. With the Mark VI it adds enough edge to be heard but is still full. I just got a Klum that's great, but I need to play on it more. It's naturally softer in the highs than the V16 but has a more complex, sophisticated sound to it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Also, my friend tightened the fit of the neck and it's definitely easier to tune now. The Buescher is still too much for it, but everything else I've tried has worked better. The V16 is on the cork all of the way, but it has a long shank and works.

·
Registered
8,146 Posts
The Soloist that came with it would be a great choice. I use the C* that came with an SBA baritone and it’s perfect.
They were made for those horns.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts