Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is such a thing possible?
I have been using a Vandoren Java T75 for a couple of years now - generally no complaints at all. Recently though I've been getting a bit dissatisfied with my lower register.
Everything above middle C is sweet and the altissimo just pops out (I'm playing an 82Z lacquered, BTW). The lower end just seems to be lacking the richness I'm after.
I also have a vintage Link STM no.7 which is fabulous on the lower end but lacks something in the top - altissimo is more difficult too so I don't think it's the horn.
I'm willing to accept that it may be a technique issue although before anyone mentions it I DO practise longtones and the overtone series every day.
I usually use Jazz select 3 softs.
Anyone got any ideas???

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Great Bloke.
2,968 Posts
Vintage NY Link opened up and tweaked to 130+ with a 4 plasticover reed gives me all of this and more. I gave up trying to find one out of the box and started tweaking my own mpcs. If you're looking for a mpc to do all this for you and more then let me save you a lot of anxiety, many dollars and time and tell you that there isn't anything out there unless you start looking to hand modified and refaced mpcs.

As for reed choice, this is a highly personal thing but I have never found that the Jazz Selects last logner than half a gig before going soft, especially if it is a loud Blues/Rock gig. Altissimo is usually a different skill to low end playing and being able to pull both off with all the dexterity/ Flexibility and control that is required on a gig takes many, many years of practice. Speak with your teacher about how to go through a set routine. Remember that good altissimo control has nothing to do with a tight embouchure.............

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
Bootman said:
Altissimo is usually a different skill to low end playing and being able to pull both off with all the dexterity/ Flexibility and control that is required on a gig takes many, many years of practice...
This is likely at least 80% of the answer. However...have you tried the Jody Jazz ESP? Plays easy from top to the bottom with a very nice sound. As Phil Barone so adamantly put it that Dino Govoni is definitely a LInk-type guy and yet he has switched to the ESP.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I'll give the jody jazz piece a blow but I think for now I'll slog away with what I've got. I would really like to make the Link work, mainly because of the sweet low end. Maybe a change of reed would open the top end up a bit.......

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
A harder reed is definately in order also very important with a Link -get a lot of the mpc in your mouth-learn to control your air with an open throat blowing deep from the diaphram.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Wouldn't we all like the have the mouthpiece you're asking for! In general the mpc can help with the low end or the high end but not both.

A V16 is not that radical, so you may simply need to work on your embouchure flexibility such that the low notes are not so rough.

Jody Jazz or Runyon Customs might be a bit better than some mouthpieces for both extremes, though they have a bit of a "contemporary" sound quality to them which I don't care for. I'd say woodshed for a bit before trying to fine tune your mouthpiece selection.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I would dig what Gary says : give the ESP a try.
It is a really outstanding piece, combining rich tone all through the horn with excellent projection and easy altissimo.
For a nice bottom I would recommand to try the V16 reeds on it.
I went also through the T75 and Links but the ESP si really a killer.
Guardala Cresent or Studio could also be an alternative but ... seems that their manufacturing at wwbw takes more time than foreseen ...

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Stock NY Link 8* with Vandoren blue box bass clarinet reeds work very well for me. Altissimo screams and the bottom end of the horn is FAT.

·
Banned
2,287 Posts
Dentarthurdent said:
Is such a thing possible?
I have been using a Vandoren Java T75 for a couple of years now - generally no complaints at all. Recently though I've been getting a bit dissatisfied with my lower register.
Everything above middle C is sweet and the altissimo just pops out (I'm playing an 82Z lacquered, BTW). The lower end just seems to be lacking the richness I'm after.
I also have a vintage Link STM no.7 which is fabulous on the lower end but lacks something in the top - altissimo is more difficult too so I don't think it's the horn.
I'm willing to accept that it may be a technique issue although before anyone mentions it I DO practise longtones and the overtone series every day.
I usually use Jazz select 3 softs.
Anyone got any ideas???
My philosophy is to keep the setup changes to a minimum, and try to address the specific issues. In keeping with that, I suggest you try either a Vandoren Java T55 or a Jumbo Java T95. Both have the looooong facing curve that will help your lower register.

The T55 is just a little more closed (.006", according to the specs) than your T75, so you shouldn't really lose anything there. However, the T95 Jumbo Java has that baffle thing going for it as well as the looooooong facing curve. It might take some getting used to, but who knows? You might like it.

Sticking with Vandorens means your embouchure won't know the difference.

It's too bad they don't put the T77 facing on their hard rubber mpcs (it's only on the metal V16). A T77 Java would probably be perfect for you.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all your kind and helpful suggestions guys.
I guess what I'm really after with the bottom register is more core tone and less 'edge' which the link seems to have. I tried the Link with a spare Java no.3 reed last night which did open up the top quite a bit (as well as taking more mouthpiece in, as suggested). Mike - thanks for the suggestion re the V16 piece - I've heard good things about them - I think I'll try one out when funds allow (and alongside an ESP for comparison).
Super20dan - thanks for your suggestion too - however, I already have a quantum (plastic) but just find it is too much for me. I can't believe anyone would find the need to use a spoiler with one as well!!
You would think that after 15 years of playing I'd have settled down with a mouthpiece!

·
Banned
2,287 Posts
Dentarthurdent said:
I guess what I'm really after with the bottom register is more core tone and less 'edge' which the link seems to have. I tried the Link with a spare Java no.3 reed last night which did open up the top quite a bit (as well as taking more mouthpiece in, as suggested). Mike - thanks for the suggestion re the V16 piece - I've heard good things about them - I think I'll try one out when funds allow (and alongside an ESP for comparison).

Super20dan - thanks for your suggestion too - however, I already have a quantum (plastic) but just find it is too much for me. I can't believe anyone would find the need to use a spoiler with one as well!!

You would think that after 15 years of playing I'd have settled down with a mouthpiece!
I wasn't suggesting the V16 T77. I simply mentioned it because it's the only Vandoren mpc with that facing.

I suggested you try the rubber Java T55 or Jumbo Java T95. I still think you ought to try one of those before you switch to another make of mouthpiece altogether.

But this is what happens with these kinds of threads. Somebody asks what appears to be a very specific question, but in reality they're looking for the answer to a broader question.

I've been trying NOT to give the same old answer to everybody lately, but maybe I should go back to it: try the Hite 128.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.